It finally happened: I peed in the dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ever since I started diving dry I have always been worried about having to pee while in it...because...you know....everyone owes in their wetsuit.
After I did a 75min dive where our guide got lost and we had to then do a 45min surface swim to get back to the dock when I needed to pee 20min into the dive. I knew I was going to add a P valve when I go my own dry suit.
Fast forward...everything has been fine, I use wide band condom catheters, I plumb in the p valve every time I wear the dry suit. I haven’t had any issues...until yesterday. The catheter must have come off during the dive at some point.
So what did I do differently this time? I didn’t put the catheter on first thing in the morning when I got out of bed. I was running late and put in on in the port-a-can after I had started sweeting. Lesson here, make the catheter this first thing you put on.

It not a perfect system, close but not perfect. I’ve had them leak bad from back pressure when the tip kinked, that one hasn’t happened since I started the end off so the barb in just short of intruding. As a buddie once said, once it leaks just keep peeing, the clean up is the same either way.

You guys are gross! I just remembered why I went back to custom quality wetsuits.
When I was diving dry I had a thick commercial suit that had a pee zipper installed. Best thing ever. I would just go before and after the dive and never had problems. The sweating is what I couldn’t stand. Diuresis management is also a thing.

You guys are gross! I just remembered why I went back to custom quality wetsuits.
When I was diving dry I had a thick commercial suit that had a pee zipper installed. Best thing ever. I would just go before and after the dive and never had problems. The sweating is what I couldn’t stand. Diuresis management is also a thing.
Happiness is the warm feeling spreading down your leg, at the end of the last dive of the day

The other big lesson I learned was that the P valve is the last resort. It’s there for an emergency.

Im surprised several on here say they’re going back to wetsuits or try not to use the p-valve. The p-valve is the best thing to happen to my drysuit. I dive dry as much as possible and use my p-valve a lot without complaint. I trim the condom cath tip and make sure my tubing is lined up right (pointing up toward my chest then back down) and it works really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom