It always seems odd packing for a trip with no scuba gear...?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Been moving the polished furniture in from the garage, actually getting the house in better order finally - what, after only 14 months. Finally got a dresser in my room, the antique bed, dresser, etc in the guest/grandkid room, blinds to replace the towels over the top half of the windows in my room, booby pic & mirror on the wall. Packing for the family trip.

Leaving at sunup with my daughter's family to drive to the far side of New Mexico, to tour the oldest continuously inhabited city in North America, an Ice Cave in the desert, other geological features left from the forming of the continental divide, the sprawling Chaco Canyon Amerindian Anaszi settlements where civilization started in the continent's southwest - abandoned before Columbus, to Los Alamos - where atomic bombs have been produced since WWII, but for the scenic forest and one more Anasazi pueblo before the home run. A long sentence to sum up a long trip...

Plv-Gts.gif

I think the Zuni nation is the only surviving Amerindian people we will actually encounter, altho we may meet some Navajo? It's interesting to me that the world famous Navajo do not call themselves that - as it's ancient Spanish for "sheep herder," a roll they had imposed on them by the conquering Spanish invaders. They call themselves "The Dine," a two syllable word meaning "The People." We'll never know what the Anasazi called themselves - a word in their language for the people as well, probably. Anasazi is a Dine word for "ancient enemy" as the Dine had to conquer the surviving nations when they migrated in to conquer the area.

I'll be online an hour or two evenings, but mostly dail-up and shared with my daughter, but I'll see y'all around. :wink:

(Yeah, I could be wrong on any of my facts. See Anasazi )

Divedoggie:
Have a great trip!
It will be weird driving through Santa Rosa w/o gear!
Yeah, we'll probly stop there for brunch on the way actually. Might go by The Hole and see how the engineers are mucking up the place. :shakehead

DandyDon:
Yeah, we'll probly stop there for brunch on the way actually. Might go by The Hole and see how the engineers are mucking up the place. :shakehead
Take your camera and post some pics of 'The Hole' if you get a chance.

I going to Arizona the last 15 days of June - No dive gear - didn't realize regular travel was so light.

DeputyDan:
I going to Arizona the last 15 days of June - No dive gear - didn't realize regular travel was so light.
What part? I spent a week touring northern AZ once, Canyon Dechey I think it's called, up to Monument valley, other ruins and sites along the way to the Grand Canyon, down to below Flagstaff, around there, back east along I-40 with the Pet Wood forest, metero crater, etc. Winter time is better, no crowds.

Three days in the Canyon area.
Four days in Sedona
A week in Scottdale with an overnighter down south to take in the Titan Missle museum and the old airplane graveyard.

The Sedona area is work the rest is making Momma happy............

Back
Top Bottom