IST Proline R750 Piston Regulator (California cold water safe?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinFins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi SB,
I recently purchased an IST R750 (first stage, piston, unbalanced) from my local dive shop in the bay area. It was not super inexpensive ($90), it seemed nice and the shop owner swears by it and this is actually the only 1st stage reg he sells, he says it is reliable and easily serviced. He also showed me how to take it apart and such. I will be using it as my backup reg.

When I googled it the first thing I read is that it is not for use under 50F water. Is this true? I dive Northern California all year and that includes Lake Tahoe (44F) and whatever Monterey gets in the winter (definitely below 50F). Is this reg safe to use here?

What are your thoughts on this regulator? It is all brass and seems well finished...

I have never had a piston reg so I don't know about these things.

Thanks in Advance,
Lucca

it wouldn't be my first choice. the r860 from IST looks like one of the ODS DST copies and would be a better choice with a dry seal kit.

It looks like an unbalanced piston, copy of Oceanic SP-5, or maybe Scubapro Mk2. It looks more like the former. You will be OK. Most OW classes taught in Monterey use this type of regulator. It is very reliable. From cold water stand point, it may even be better than balanced flow through piston design.

Thanks runsongas and eelnoraa!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom