Issues with traveling with backplate single tank adapter on carry-on.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been a few years now since my cave diving there. I'm glad to hear that things got straightened out.

I just went through security at Newark Airport, flying to Cancun. The guy flagged my steel backplate and initially told me I needed to check it in. When I half-jokingly pointed out that my laptop was just as dangerous, he said he'd let me carry on "this time". He spent a long time looking at my regulator and trying to figure out if I might use it as a garotte. Nice guy and not a bad experience. But I think I'll check in on the way back.

As to why not to check in, have you flown recently? It's chaos. I fly several times a month, and a smooth flight is now the exception rather than the rule. I have a connection in Dallas, so I figure the risk of a mishap is exponentially increased. I have little faith of being reunited with any check in bags.

This seems to be a long recurring problem in Mexico through airports that should have seen every piece of SCUBA gear and then some. NO CLUE WHY it’s not checked, but….

This possibly could make the problem go away?

7E4053E6-C0B1-46BF-9828-8DB0B7B1E9A9.jpeg

On my last trip to Mexico a week ago the Mexico tsa guy was very confused about my backplate and had to check if it was ok , his supervisor came by and picked it up and took it to someone else came back in a minute and said it was ok , asked me what my can light was and then let me repack all my stuff lol

I always carry on all my scuba gear when no direct flight. A lot of money tied up in gear, regulators, computers, etc. I know I will not carry it on again to keep from happening in the future. I was just curious if this is uncommon for the community... especially Cozumel. I was there in December 2021 and January and carried the exact same contents in my carry on. No issues.
For many people, there is a fear of their luggage (and everything in it) being lost. Unfortunately, by trying to pack it in your carry-on, you had the same effect - you lost your gear. The difference is that when security confiscates it, you have lost it forever. When an airline loses your luggage, it usually (not always, but usually) shows up a few days later. (JetBlue lost my luggage so often when I was flying into Syracuse that their delivery guy eventually knew where I lived.)

On the way home especially, the more I can pack in my checked bag(s), the less I have to carry around the airport with me. I can deal with it showing up a few days late better than I can deal with having to replace it if an over-enthusiastic security person arbitrarily decides that I can't take in on the plane in my carry-on.

I am on a flight departing Cabo at this moment…my backplate caused all sort of pain at checkpoint. “It’s too hard” they claimed. I had to return and check my carry on which contained the evil backplate otherwise security claimed it would need to be shipped…like that could happen in the hour I had before departure.

You would think security supervisors would be smart enough to know what scuba gear is, but alas, common sense is lacking everywhere!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom