Issues with traveling with backplate single tank adapter on carry-on.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adamfool

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone ever had issues with a backplate on carry-on making it through the security checkpoint? A few days ago in Cozumel, the gentleman at the security checkpoint said my single tank adapter (with cam bands attached) could be used as a weapon on the plane and it had to be checked. Thing is, once the bags are dropped, you cannot get access to put items inside. I had to end up allowing airport security to confiscate my adaptor. At least they allowed me to remove the cam bands and keep them.

I travel with a single tank adapter also, never had anyone question it. I also remove the cam bands and put it under the backplate as that allows the best packing of it. Sometimes its just the local TSA agent’s opinion and if it isn’t specifically allowed in their rules they can screw you over.

Sorry that sucks!

No direct experience on this, but some suggestions for the future ...

@bobmaggi pretty much beat me to the first one. ( Reverse it and bolt it between the wing and plate. Out of sight out of mind?)

If your plate has cam band slots and you just need stability, OMS makes a Soft roll-stabilizer: OMS Soft Stabilizing Adapter

Why not just check it, especially if you're on the way home?
Agreed. I don't understand the apparently widespread practice of carrying-on stuff that will check just fine. The risk of losing a bag is a lot lower than irritating a security person. I only carry on a photo bag, computers, mandatory lithium batteries, and prescriptions, plus personal comfort items for the flight.

I always carry on all my scuba gear when no direct flight. A lot of money tied up in gear, regulators, computers, etc. I know I will not carry it on again to keep from happening in the future. I was just curious if this is uncommon for the community... especially Cozumel. I was there in December 2021 and January and carried the exact same contents in my carry on. No issues.

Just get a new single tank adpater and reverse it like suggested...take the cam bands off and most likely they will never notice

The Mexican version of TSA is has been know for its quirks for years. Cave divers are usually the ones running into trouble with their lithium powered primary lights, which nobody wants in checked baggage except Mexico!

The Mexican version of TSA is has been know for its quirks for years. Cave divers are usually the ones running into trouble with their lithium powered primary lights, which nobody wants in checked baggage except Mexico!
Uhh, the issue has been loose batteries, not those installed in equipment. And Mexico is now in alignment with the rest of the world.

a few days ago i went through cancun airport security with a canister light and an entire rebreather in my carry on bag, and security didn't even bother to look at it

Reactions: BZS
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom