Isolators - good or bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by daylight
Back ashore, the failure was a nicked o-ring in the 1st stage.
In, as "inside" the first stage, eg. an o ring within the body of the regulator?

If so, had it just been serviced?

Roak

Originally posted by Hobbs

So what is the main disadvantage to having the isolator valve closed ?
the 6 times you have to equaalize the preasure ?

Are there any advantages at all in this solution ?
or is it just some crappy thing that works in theory but not practice ?

Hobbs... sorry it took so long to get back to you on this... I got called out...

First... you can dive with the isolator closed and open it periodically to equalize the cylinders...

But...
It is a solution to a problem that does not exist...
And it adds the potential for a catastophe - if you forget to equalize.... and you will...

Not to mention the unnecessary addition of task loading:
1. Remember to equalize
2. Reach back to the isolator and open
3. Wait for the tanks to equalize
4. Reach back to close the isolator

Why would you want to subject yourself to such a regimen???
If you are diving doubles with an isolator you are doing the kind of dives that require your attention to be somewhere other than screwing around with your valves!!!! How much forward progress and bottom time should be sacrificed to such an unnecessary and potentially dangerous exercise????

And:
If you are that good at getting to and manipulating the isolator then you sure don't have to worry that you won't be able to do it when actually needed!!!

If you are not good at getting to and manipulating the isolator then you sure don't want to start out with it closed.

And to the point... when is it necessary to isolate????
Remember..shut down the offending post first and only then if the flow continues do you isolate and this will be extremely rare!

Leaving the isolator closed and opening periodically is all disadvantage with no advantage.

But I'm glad your thinking!!!

:D

That the biggest issue I have with my only set of doubles, is that the manifold is not an isolation style. While I would have trouble reaching for the knob (if it were) I can only see good from it. BTW, are the cables designed for reaching the unreachable knobs consistent with the DIR setup, or would my inability to reach back like that pre-clude me from ever trying a full DIR setup??? I think that most of the manufacturers sell them.

Hey Pete,

Those things are simply trying to solve a problem that shouldn't have to exist, don't ya think? If you can't reach your valves, then something ain't quite right (suit/underwear is too tight, harness isn't adjusted right, bands are in wrong spot, etc.). If your're simply not flexible enough, you can work on that.

IMO, those things are another gimmick to add complexity to a gear configuration that shouldn't be complex. I think they are a non-solution.

Take care.

Mike

Originally posted by NetDoc
That the biggest issue I have with my only set of doubles, is that the manifold is not an isolation style. While I would have trouble reaching for the knob (if it were) I can only see good from it.

Pete,
At first I had great difficulty in reaching the right post much less the isolator or left post....

It was a comedy to watch because my opposite leg would kick involuntarily as I attempted to reach the valve handle and I would spiral into the bottom....

Fortunately this is all preserved on video because I no longer have any problem with valve drills and can do them without moving...

I did stretching exercises and got a suit that did not restrict my arm movement... and I praticed until I got it!

You can do it....

And Pete... the goal isn't DIR
The goal is safe diving...

Roaky,

Sorry it took so long to answer your question. My Internet connection was /is totally hosed by some incompentent idiots.

My reg had been service and I had about six dives on it when it failed. When we disassembled the reg, we found the nicked O ring and determined that they probably nicked it reassembling it after servicing.

I've gone to diaphram 1st stages since then.

Larry

Originally posted by daylight
When we disassembled the reg, we found the nicked O ring and determined that they probably nicked it reassembling it after servicing.
Thanks. Time to start a new base note...

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom