Isolator Manifold Procedures for solo divers in particular

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
In other news, tank O-rings have been known to extrude out. Rarely does it happen, but do you wish to be the victim when it does?

Any info on how severe the leak is? I'm sure this varies, I just like to hear about actual occurrences.

Walter:
The isolator is a failure point. It's more likely to fail than either a burst disk or a tank neck o-ring.

I've heard of more burst disc failures than any of the others, and not exclusively underwater. Buddy noticed tank filled a couple weeks before had less than half the air it should have. But that doesn't prove anything. What do you base your assertion on? Same question as above about severity of leakage.

Scuba:
Any info on how severe the leak is? I'm sure this varies, I just like to hear about actual occurrences.

I filled a customers tank to correct pressure 3000psi, 1/2 hour later it started hissing loudly and there was a small piece of o-ring sticking out of the neck. It took about 10 minutes to stop so I guess that suggests how severe it might be.

Walter:
Actually, no. Any manifold will give you access to the air in both tanks. The isolator, if closed, will prevent you from having access to air in the shut down tank. That's its purpose, to isolate one tank from the other.

Is this a case of pedantry? Are you a pedant? :)

The name of the item does indeed give a big clue to its primary purpose.

What I was trying to say, in as few words as possible, was that an isolator manifold when opened again AFTER a shut down procedure will then give one access to any remaining gas in the shut down cylinder. This, of course, presumes that closure of the relevant cylider valve has in fact stopped gas reaching whatever was 'leaking'.

These debates on twin cylinders and whether to run as independants/with manifold/with isolator manifold are as repetative as PADI v BSAC (in the UK) or cuff dump v shoulder dump etc - FWIW I am fimly in the "want an isolator manifold" and anyone who disagrees with me is obviously wrong. :)

Thanks for the thought, but no.

What I was trying to say, in as few words as possible, was that an isolator manifold when opened again AFTER a shut down procedure will then give one access to any remaining gas in the shut down cylinder.

True, but it's the manifold that accomplishes this, not the isolator.

Back
Top Bottom