Question How to communicate with a panicked diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its all in the eye contact. if you can look them in the eyes (from a distance if they're totally freaked out) and project calm and confidence, I find that usually does the trick. I haven't had to use the Vulcan mind meld very often but I think providing reassurance and THEN help is a pretty good approach.

Also, for some weird reason, putting your hand gently on the top of someone's head when they are in distress seems to work, as well. Obviously, don't use this on the surface elsewise they might think you are trying to drown them.

Yes, as with any class, the instructor can make it worthwhile or not. The agencies all have standards, but even so there are classes that don't meet standards. The student usually doesn't know any better. Likewise, there are classes that do the standards and then some.

The Rescue course I took definitely seemed to go above and beyond. We did the dives at an inland location that has some brown tannic water. It gets dark as you go deeper, but the color really limits the distance you can see. So each of the students really had no clue what the "victim" was going to present. We had to figure it out on the fly and respond appropriately. The scenarios could also happen at any point. Even during a surface interval, or in some cases, after I had rescued the "victim", I was asked to present another emergency to one of my fellow students.

After my course, another instructor who was teaching some OW students at the same site talked to my instructor. He told him he really liked the way the course was done and asked if he could steal some of the scenarios.
Brian, it sounds like you have really found a great course taught by a seasoned instructor. The diving community really needs to get the word out that these classes are available. U/W rescue is not for everyone, however, a good intro in an AOW class as well as the recommendation that you send out is a pretty good start. I would really like to get e-newsletters or mailed newsletters about this. Yes, I now dive with some limitations in shallow, clear, warm waters as I am now the ‘Senior’ diver. Again, you never know when or even if you (..or myself..) may be called upon by our dive buddies ( even in a group ) to help or assist in a diver rescue.

BTW, my original SCUBA class was given in 1977 by Mac’s SCUBA in Clearwater. I came a long way w/many stumbling blocks along the way. Many of my old dive buddies no longer dive, for various reasons. Mac’s is still around as I stopped in at their Tarpon Springs location in April and spent time showing my vintage gear to ‘Bill’ Cavallo. If you live in Largo, Fl…Pinellas Co. I am sure you ‘Know’ Mac’s. …good folks for the most part but it has been awhile.

Stay safe, my Friend and keep spreading the word about the Rescue courses.

Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84.
giantfroginthepool

Back
Top Bottom