Isle Royale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkunstman

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone done any diving at Isle Royale? I just booked a live aboard charter to Isle Royale for mid June.

Dennis Kunstman

I spent several days diving there at the end of last summer-- great fun. Did it on the cheap with a dive buddy, took our own small craft across from Grand Portage loaded with gear and tanks and camped on the island...lots of moose. You have to be flexible that way (we spent one more day on the island than intended, got weathered in and couldn't cross back to mainland). I'm attaching copies of the park diving regulations here, along with brief write-ups on all the major wreck sites. Have a great trip!

What charter did you go with? I dove up there three times on week long liveaboards with RLT dive charters. Great time. I took some time off but plan to get back up that way again. I will tell you the water is cold. We would anchor the boat in Five Finger bay on the North east side of the island at night when we were diving the Congdon and the Emperor and would wake up too see Moose romping around in the water near shore. I have a ton of video from the wrecks that we dove. Very fun trip; well worth it.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

The charter is rltdivers. I attached the link below. I am really looking forward to the diving there. It sounds wonderful from what I gather. Most of the dive sites we will be diving are within recreational depths so no deco and great bottom times. Nitrox and argon are included in the charter. I would like to find out more about the ships we will be diving on.

http://www.rltdivers.com/RLT DIVER III HOME.htm

Take care,
Dennis Kunstman

I too have dove with RLT for three years and love it each and every time. They are a great group of people, and you will never go hungry. Each time I have dove there, we dove the north side of the island on a 5 day charter each time. The five day was better considering I was driving up from Indianapolis. We would leave Monday morning for the island and dive the Cumberland and Chisholm which are on top of each other then head into the ranger station to sign in. This was just a minor formality that Ralph or Brian already had done. Then it was to the America and off on a long boat ride. We stopped around 5 finger bay to rest for the evening and have dinner then Tuesday started the diving. They anchor off shore in the bay at night so I hope you don't sleep walk. We usually hung out on the Congdon and Emperor most of the week because that was the dives we wanted to do. You can dive those two for a week and never begin to see the wreck in its entirety. You will end up at Rock Harbor mid week for a grilled dinner outside and again you won't go hungry. They are steak and Potato charter operators. A good site to go for information is www.superiortrips.com. Give it a look and definitely post a post trip report. Let me know how you liked it. If you have any questions about the way they run it feel free to ask. Sleeping quarters are great and the trip is as laid back or as gung ho as you want it too be. Enjoy.

Jeff “great lakes diver"

I returned from the Isle Royale trip early Monday morning after the long drive back. I went back and read Jeff's (Nitrox Junkie) comments about the trip and he was right on! You will not go hungry on that trip. I had to ask for smaller portions. RLT divers run a great operation. I highly recommend them. These guys work hard between getting all of us divers in and out of the water, having hot coco or coffee ready when we get out, cooking meals, washing dishes, and driving the boat. The scenery above and below the water was breathtaking. Spending time on the island was worth the trip without even adding diving into the picture. The diving was wonderful! We got dives in on most of the wrecks around the island making 3 dives per day. I thought I was going to want to do some night dives but after 3 dives in 38 degree water to 140 feet, it takes it out of you. Out of the dives, we managed to dive the Emperor 4 times. As Jeff said, you could dive this ship all week by all by itself and not see everything. Heck, I think I could spend all season on this ship and not see everything. An unbelievable trip! I am going to plan on going next year on a technical charter with them and hopefully get to dive the Kamloops.

If anyone is interested, I will post a link to the pictures (both above and below the water) as soon as I get them uploaded.

Dennis Kunstman

Back
Top Bottom