Island Divers Hawaii - Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
This shop was recommended as a good shop that had good customer service. Boy was that wrong in this case!

I went into their shop to arrange a dive charter for the next day. By the brands of gear on the walls and general demeanor I thought this would be a good experience. My experience is that shops that sell such brands as Halcyon, DiveRite, Zeagle, etc and display standard BCs, BPs, etc are generally pretty good one's to do business with.

I asked if they had room on the next day's charter? Answer: Are you a safe diver?
Me: Yep. ID Person: Yes we do. We'll pick you up at your hotel at 7:15 in the morning. We took care of how much weight I'd need, etc.

Later that day I received a phone call from another person "confirming" that I wanted to dive with them and again asking how much weight I'd need and if I would be diving Independent Doubles as I'd said at the shop? I gave the answers and again was told I'd be picked up in the morning.

Next morning I was picked up on schedule. Then things went downhill. The pickup truck smelled so strongly of urine that although it was raining we had to drive with the windows fully down. Great customer service using a vehicle that smells like the urinal in a public toilet.

After I was in the truck the ID Person said: "I'll be your instructor today". I thought that was just a figure of speech and didn't think too much about it; until later. This was the same person I'd made reservations with and with whom I'd explained my purpose was to see the wreck and try out my new gear configuration. As far as I knew there was no instructor relationship asked for or granted.

At the boat there was no effort to assist in carrying my gear or putting it on the hand truck with the tanks and weights to move it from the parking area to the boat. Really no big deal except that it fills out the pattern of poor customer service.

On the boat the ID Person suddenly discovered there weren't enough tanks and that no weights had been brought for me. Tanks and weights were found and brought to the boat. Since the boat was on a schedule this meant the second dive had to be cut short to make up for this delay.

At the first dive site there was no pre-dive briefing other than to tell the other two divers and I the name of the site and the maximum depth. I had specifically asked for someone to do a bubble check after entering the water and wanted to know about buddy proceedures. Nothing. Instead, once in the water we were instructed to "Put your regulators in your mouth and follow the line down". That is when I fully realized that this person was in fact treating three certified divers, two of whom were experienced, as students.

While under water the ID Person at one point asked for air pressure. I gave mine but wasn't believed. The ID Person came to me; Grabbed the SPG for my left tank and looked at it. When it was full then the ID Person started looking for the other SPG by groping me. The person never did figure out that the right tank was air integrated and that when I was pointing to my computer was trying to show the air pressure. (Remember Independent Doubles).

During ascent from 100' I did my normal slow ascent with stops followed by a Safety Stop to clear the timer in my DiveRite. The ID Person kept motioning me to speed up my ascent. I refused as slow ascents and calculated stops are The Way. Of course this entire thing could have been avoided had there been the pre-dive briefing I'd asked for.

Once back on board the first words out of the ID Person's mouth were to one of the other divers. "You are sitting out the next dive." I asked him why? He said he had 500# at the bottom of the line and the ID Person didn't like that. Mind you I was next to him with in effect a full AL80. Then I was chastised for not coming up fast enough. After I explained the ID Person said they hadn't heard of that and anyway I should have told someone what I was doing since that was not standard. I didn't bother replying as it was clear that would be a waste of breath.

On the second dive the ID Person and the other diver just went off and left me. As those who dive with me will testify I am a slow swimmer. But, in this case it was the ID Person's obligation to keep the three person group together as to be mutual buddies. That was not done. Several times both the other diver and the ID Person were out of sight in vis that was nearly 100' visibility. I knew where they were by their bubbles. But, no buddy assistance would have been available if I'd needed it.

The second dive was called on time to meet the schedule.

On the trip back to the dock it was explained to me that long hose gear with BP and Wing was "crap" that shouldn't be used unless training for "real dives".

Then the self gear schlepping and the trip back to the hotel in the urinal truck.

By my experience this day I'd have to rate Island Divers Hawaii - Oahu as one of the worst in customer service and an unsafe operation. Certainly employing people who are so lacking in knowledge and concern for their role is the fault of management, not the person.

is that why they told you to go home? :wink:

Wow !!!
I'm really sorry you had this bad experience. No one should ever have something like this happen. I can imagine how upsetting this is.

I find your experience both troubling and almost hard to believe. I dive regularly with Island Divers and know them well. While I wouldn't say I'm treated the way a resort might cater to me, (I shouldn't be, I'm a club diver), I have always found their DM's to be competent, and helpful. Some like Matt and Jo, and Kristy to be exceptional.

As for the "long hose" remarks, given the number of Island Divers customers and staff using that configuration, I find your experience to be really wierd.

I'll be interested to see where this thread goes.

HarveyO:
Wow !!!
I'm really sorry you had this bad experience. No one should ever have something like this happen. I can imagine how upsetting this is.

I find your experience both troubling and almost hard to believe. I dive regularly with Island Divers and know them well. While I wouldn't say I'm treated the way a resort might cater to me, (I shouldn't be, I'm a club diver), I have always found their DM's to be competent, and helpful. Some like Matt and Jo, and Kristy to be exceptional.

As for the "long hose" remarks, given the number of Island Divers customers and staff using that configuration, I find your experience to be really wierd.

I'll be interested to see where this thread goes.

I really debated a long time before starting this thread; especially since I was told this is "the' shop on Oahu. But I was encouraged to do the post because some of the people I talked to had similar experiences.

Frankly, I think it is wrong to focus too much on the gear remarks. I put that in just to fill in the overall picture. The Urinal Truck, Poor Pre-dive briefing, Gear Grabbing and lack of knowledge concerning ascent procedures were the important things.

Maybe locals get treated differently than tourists?

There are a couple other places where I've had similar treatment. That is where the staff took a look at my silver hair and decided I shouldn't be there in the first place and let their biases rule.

Lots of questions. But I throw this out for the reader's information so they can make their own decision.

dlndavid:
is that why they told you to go home? :wink:

Oh you mean the obnoxious humor from Wildcard? His post was just out of context for those who weren't privileged to hear our personal conversations.

No one at ID said anything. The experience assured that I wouldn't be back.

I am very suprised by what you experienced...I love those guys.

There is always two (or more) sides to the same story!

Dave

A while back we spent three days diving with ID. They were great! I don't have time to go into detail, but suffice it to say they were competent, efficient, and all around great folks running a good operation.

I would dive with them again, and will continue to recommend them.

I have other friends that have done even more diving with ID than I have. They have only good things to say about their experience

Hmmmm. Well, I have a few comments. I was a club member of IDH for a couple of years. There isn't any hand-holding for club divers; they are on their own (just fine with me). I don't think you can compare the two types of diving (paying visitor vs club diver).

That being said, if there is only 3 divers in the water, then they should be a buddy team and not left you, whether or not you were slow. I prefer to go slow and don't enjoy racing around - but that's just me. However, if two of the diver's are racing around and it's a 3-person buddy team, if I feel I want assistance if needed, I'll stay with them, at the risk of not enjoying the dive.

As for the deep stops, that is something that D.A.N. is now advising and not everyone knows about it. You should have told them you were doing that. Did they know about it on the 2nd dive?

A little communication goes a long way. Both sides should have done a better job of that.

Now - the van and the lack of weights for you was just bad customer service. I'm not sure how they will solve the smell issue but you did tell them twice about your weights so that appears to be lack of organization on ID's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom