http://www.diveheart.org/

island dive resorts serving fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The dive resort I'm planning to visit does not serve any fish products in order to minimize impact etc. it's a good impulse but am I wrong to think that's extreme? Not consuming reef fish or fish taken illegally from protected waters or using destructive methods, sure. But this resort is in an archipelago whose main food source is seafood. Surely the environmental impact of importing land meat is bad as well? They won't even serve a fish product that is common in the whole country and not produced anywhere near the park waters where the diving is. If I'm not off base in thinking their position is extreme, what evidence can i offer that would encourage them to reconsider this kind of blanket ban on fish products?

Last edited:
Show them the receipt from the seafood place down the street. As someone who travels to the the coast/islands and cannot get good fish at home I look forward to eating our reef friends when I am close to their home and would eat elsewhere while I was stuck at that resort.

Sounds to me like it's a sales gimmick that they believe will attract customers. There may not be any convincing to do if that is the case.

I don't think regular people like you and me really know anything about what's good and bad about eating seafood vs. land animals in any given place. No more than we know anything about national politics.

...what evidence can i offer that would encourage them to reconsider this kind of blanket ban on fish products?

You're assuming that their decision was based on some set of values that you share, and that there was some evidence which, in conjunction with those values, led to that decision.

Those are pretty big assumptions, and the argument is probably not worth your time in any case. If you want fish, eat out.

Which resort is it? I think I would commend them on their decision! It always cracks me up watching people get all fired up about someone touching something on the reef as they are shoving their shrimp scampi in their mouth. (For every pound of shrimp almost 10 lbs. of by-catch will die, including turtles). Not to mention the destruction of the reef as the trawlers drag their nets over the bottom. In some countries they bomb the reefs to catch the fish so maybe they are trying to make an impact by lessoning the demand. Every little bit helps. I personally do not eat fish anymore so I guess I am a little biased. I would rather admire them under the water than on my plate. I know a live aboard that no longer carries products with palm oil and that is a huge undertaking (really missed the oreos), but if we don't start somewhere....

FYI, I do agree with you about the destructive nature of "land meat" as well, but good luck getting people to become vegetarians. I guess they will face that one when the world runs out of food!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom