Island Beach State Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sent an email over to the park asking what the depths, temperatures, currents, facilities, etc are like. I will post something if I get an answer.

I got a reply from Michele Stelle Park who said they have no information about scuba diving there, no idea of what the depths, currents, water temperatures, facilities, nor known hazards are. She went on to advise me to contact the Barnegat Lighthouse Park who should have that info. I called the contact number At Barnegat Lighthouse Park and the Ranger probably thought I was smoking dope. He said there is absolutely no scuba diving allowed at the Barnegat Lighthouse Park (which I knew) and that why would they have that information on an activity inside another park's jurisdiction? New Jersey Government at it's finest! I explained who gave me the number and that I was only following the lead I was given. Although he was professional and polite you could read between the lines and recognize the frustration of why would she even suggest you call us? So it looks like we hit a dead end.

I seem to remember something in the NJ beach diver book about a wreck inshore off IBSP but I'm a member of a few beach diving groups and have never heard of anyone doing it. Typical conditions for that area would be a north current, 5-15' vis and depth runs about 20', anything shallower would have been buried or broken up. Last year most of the beach dives north of there were buried by beach projects, in a month or two we will have checked to see if winter storms have uncovered them, stay tuned.

Lat Adjustment- Yes, keep us posted, and let us know if you need some company for a few reconnaisance dives to see how things are.

teamheatwave - how NJ of those morons!!!

hogluvr - can you camp there, are there any kind of facilities?

The reason I was looking at this spot is
1- open fires are allowed
2- trails and oher things to do besides dive
2- tons of bars for the post dive party
3- the boardwalk for anyone with kids

Everyone - I'm up for any reconnaisance dives too!

Re: 3, No board walks on Island Beach State Park other than those going between the dunes to the beach but up the road a piece is Seaside with boardwalks and bars.

Back
Top Bottom