Islamorada/ Key Largo recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainbow Reef in KL is a good option but if you want a really nice reef dive with Captain Hooks out of Big Pine. They can and do accommodate snorkelers on the same boat. You get to dive Looe Key which is amazing. IMO much better and livelier reef than in KL.

Update after our weekend diving: both Sun Sports and Key Dives were great. After diving with them we preferred Sun Sports a bit more - 6 pack and the owners were great and took us to a couple of great shallower spots as it was our teen son’s first ocean dives. Key Dives was also good - bigger boat with more divers and some snorkelers (we had 2 with us while we dive) but they did a real nice job as well. Overall I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either but Sun Sports is definitely my first choice. Hope this helps anyone.

Thanks for all the replies! Since I didn’t get many replies I did some online research of reviews and made some calls. We booked with Key Dives for one day and Sunsports for the other. Both have good reviews and are 6 packs and since we also have 2 snorkelers with us we’re doing shallow reef dives. Both ops seemed pretty accommodating and there’s a DM/guide in the water with us. I’ll post back afterwards. Thanks again.
How was key dives?

How was key dives?
We were happy with them. We went in the afternoon so it was shallower but that worked as we had 2 snorkelers with us as well - one of whom was our daughter who got inspired into scuba so that was great. Good boat, nice crew, dm, etc. We’d dive with them again. Another one we used this year was Silent World up in key largo and they were fantastic.

We were happy with them. We went in the afternoon so it was shallower but that worked as we had 2 snorkelers with us as well - one of whom was our daughter who got inspired into scuba so that was great. Good boat, nice crew, dm, etc. We’d dive with them again. Another one we used this year was Silent World up in key largo and they were fantastic.
Thanks, I was supposed to go with silent world but got cancelled due to weather. I have to say their customer service is great! Stopped in the key dives shop and really enjoyed the conversation and what they do. I dove with Amoray and had a great experience there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom