Islamorada Advice Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed Capt Gary of Conch Republic runs an excellent dive shop

I used to teach for Pat at Ocean Quest. Tad taught me how to drive their 30ft Island Hopper. Get to know this quite captain and he will take you to a good bug site. I have not visited Pat at her new location. But if you want super personal service, go with Ocean Quest. I would encourage you to call in advance and tell Pat exactly what you are looking for. She will deliver.
Compare Ocean Quest's new mile marker location with your hotel. How far will you have to drive. If you are staying in Islamorada, Conch Republic is actually in Tavernier. Check the mile markers and decide how far you want to drive.

Conch and Florida Keys Dive Ctr. are good. Both in Tavernier.
Rainbow Reef runs out of the Chesapeake Resort, mile marker 84?

Whoever you go with, make sure they know you want a bug dive in advance or you may be disappointed.

We spent a week diving with Conch Republic last month and I recommend them. Very friendly people and laid back. The boats are big and were never crowded. Good variety of dive sites. I got to dive the Spiegal, the Duane, the Eagle, the Benwood, and some nice reefs too: Victory, Pickles, Horseshoe, The Aquarium, and one other one I just can't remember the name of now.

You will have a great time with whomever you choose to go with.

I highly recommend Conch Republic! As a brand new diver, I had a not-so-great experience on my first attempt in the Keys (with another outfit), and posted here, asking for advice while still on the island. The owner of Conch Republic called me at my hotel room and told me he would personally see to it that I had everything I needed and a guide to give me personal attention. That one dive in the Keys was the only thing that went well on my trip. Conch Republic was OUTSTANDING, and I will most certainly use them again if I return to the area.

If you want a smaller outfit, try Divers City. Across the road from Conch Republic. The have steel tanks with dins. They were very accomidating, and there were only 2 of us on the boat. There policy is if you are the 1st to book the boat, you get to select the dives. Plus even though their boat can handle about 14, they limit it to 8 divers.

We dove with Conch Republic also. They were great as well, and several have mentioned them already.

You can't go wrong with either 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom