Is VDH Done...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in every activity there is a beginning. a middle and sadly an end

The diving world is no different there is a beginning a middle and end

A fast review of dive companies-- That are distant memories -- Many names new to most modern divers -- Sea Net in 1954 to only Sub Sea Products 1970- Even more after 1970 that were established have disappeared into diver dust
FYI
Here is a list of over 35 dive companies that no longer exist

Sea Net - the first in the US- closed in 1954
Aqua gun
Voit
Swimaster
Voit Swimaster
Healthways
Sportsways
Scuba Master
Kirkhill Rubber Co
Dacor
Emerson SCUBAlungs
Sea Craft (Their 1958 back plate copied by VDH - What is old is now new!)
Aquacraft
Bendix Watercom
White Stag
Empress
Oceanic Equipment
The Bangstick
Parkways
Parker UW systems
Rubber Fabricator's
SMG
Triton
Aqua Engineering Co
Aqua Environmental Co
Bayley suit
Farallon
Giddings UW enterprises
GMC (Global Manufacturing Co)
King Neptune (Lloyd Bridges)
Nemrod
Neptune UW products
New England Divers (NED)
Samson
Sea Suits
Subsea Products
All of the above were full service responsible companies with well trained personnel an in house inventory with a shipping departments. Yet they are no longer in existence !

Why ? GOK
Death in family (Sea Net) - poor products-to many products - too few products - Poor promotion - poor distribution channels- too early in market place GOK ? But they have all disappeared !

VDH is what is normally classified as a "home based cottage industry." It is subject to all the same rules and regulations of a normal business but must also be subject to and abide by city and state regulations to operate a manufacturing, repair and distribution business with in an apartment complex.
The additional vehicle & foot traffic, additional waste products and the big one Chemicals should give concern to the apartment complex and the city and state governments.

There is also product liability of a cottage industry produced underwater breathing device aka SCUBA unit. It is understood that those acquiring a VDH UW breathing device for the first time sign a waiver of liability- which is a contract for a future undetermined event- Which has been determined to be a useless piece paper in numerous legal cases

But what about when it is sold to the second of third owner ? Or when an original owner buys the farm (which so far has not been reported and which all are thankful ) BUT-The surviving wives, brothers, mothers and fathers will possibly want a "pound of Flesh" (aka $$$$)
If it occurs- lets hope it doesn't - it will be an interesting item of litigation --a one man home based cottage industry producing a breathing device with out the befit of inspection and testing and possibly the protective umbrella of liability insurance

Yes there is a beginning. a middle and end - It is assumed VDH is a little over the beginning for it is still only a "A one man home based cottage industry." It is unfortunate that this thread has so many positive responses that are being read and analyzed world wide.

This thread and all its positive responses could be the beginning of an event originally created by the Lieu brothers of Hong Kong and their duplication and improvement of the US Divers Mistral in Chinese shops so long ago - The Bunns regulator became the best Mistral ever produced which was also marketed by an English diving company --- only time will tell

Is VDH Done ? Not at present ! But who can predict the future for this hobby which has morphed into a one man home based cottage industry ? It can continue on in its present state and customer/fan base for an indefinite time or it can expand and move into commercial establishment, employ a staff, fully stocked inventory, provide employee and product insurances, join DEMA, advertise, became a main stream dive company and increase prices but can it remain competitive in the current dive industry- ??? It will never happen !

I wish you well in your endeavors to enlighten and equip the modern diving world with "vintage type" dive equipment - it is a noble effort with high risk and few rewards...but it currently fills the needs of a small contingency of the diving community who want to look and dive like their childhood hero Mike Nelson. That is good That is great! Bravo !

I have spent entirely tooo much time on this - which will not be read -a total waste of time

Sam Miller. III

@Sam Miller III

I read it, too!

gawd im old I still remember a lot of thoe companies , and still have a lot of that gear , I will add 1 more company cyber diver the first real digital dive computer (still have one that works ) think they only made 400 of them , red leds like the old calculator

I have read through the whole thread and I just dont understand?
What is the OP's true complaint?
I think its that VDH is the only place that lists what he wants, but the part remains out of stock. He is also mad because VDH didnt take his start up money and run the business the way the OP wanted.

My suggestion would be to take the money you wished to invest and start your own company, in Canada maybe.
Link me when you do so I can check stock.

I have dealt with Bryan on a few occasions and was very impressed. He has provided a professional answer to every email that I have sent.

I placed an order with VDH last week. I recieved emails when I ordered and when it shipped. Tracking shows it arriving yesterday but it did not. Should I blame Bryan and think it a conspiracy or scam??? No he did his job, and then had to rely on someone else to do theirs.

I am thankful there is a company producing and selling the parts that no one else is. Perhaps if more divers would find the enjoyment of double hose regulators, then there would be a need for more than a "cottage industry".

This post makes me think of Willy Wonka. You got a golden ticket to the factory, and can't just enjoy it! People today have no patience or understanding of what others deal with. People today gotta have what they want, when they want, even if it is not ready.

I think a lot of people have no idea what is at the other end of a website or how cottage industries and side gigs work.
In this day and age everyone is spoiled and expects everything to be instantly gratified at their fingertips on the internet with deeply discounted prices, free shipping, and no sales tax, as they sit at their computers or on their phone in their underwear.
Everyone thinks the world of goods should be like Amazon, it’s not.
Get over yourself and be glad that there still are a few one man operations making and doing stuff.
I remember when the back pages of magazines were chock full of tiny box adds for cottage industry items made by guys just like us.

I very much enjoyed the story told by Sam Miller about the mask that was hand made by his good friend in Southern California, Sturgil.
This to me is the crowning pinnacle of what “Cottage” is all about.

Those of us in cottage industries know full well that we will probably never be mainstream, and we may not ever want to be. That’s not what it’s about.

Life is too short to put up with demanding arrogant and unappreciative assholes.
No soup for you!

Some people just look for stuff to bitch about if it doesn`t go the way they want. Thanks for your service Bryan and keep up the good work!

As stated in Post 21, there is no bad advertising. Only bad ways to handle it, and Bryan did well.

if som one complains just look at the source..........that tells the whole story , I have to bite my tongue a lot here

Back
Top Bottom