Is this what DIR is about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkaterenchuk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I will begin by saying I have a cursory knowledge of DIR. I recently had exposure to some local DIR divers in a quarry situation and I came away scratching my head and wondering if what happened is part of the DIR way or an example of individual application gone wrong. Her are the details.

My Buddy and I dive CCR. I am eCCR and my buddy is mCCR. We were gearing up for a early evening dive at the local quarry (something we do almost weekly to keep our skills sharp and practise failure modes). This particular dive our plan was to simply go down to 90ft look around for about 20 minutes and then simulate an bail out ascent. This dive was mid summer and ambient light was good at depth. My buddy and I typically swim with one lead and the other to the right and slightly behind (max 2-3 ft). When we entered the water we saw a group of 3 DIR divers going thru their dive plan and checks. We submerged and made our way down to depth and were swimming around when all of a sudden the 3 DIR diver whom were side by side swam between us without warning. Since we have very little seperation between us the 3 DIR divers could not fit and we were surprized because they approached on a 45 degree diagonal course from our left rear. I was pushed aside in order to avoid the diver that suddenly appeared in front of me and my buddy was pushed up by the DIR diver trying to squeeze underneath him. Esentially, it appeared to us the these 3 DIR diver had their path set and dam anyone whom might be in the way. They did nothing to avoid us even though we had no knowledge of their approach and afterwards on the surface they made no mention or apology.

Hence, my question if this is normal DIR procedure and mode of operation when other non DIR divers are in their path or simply bad manners that might have resulted in a dangerous situation if inexperience divers were involved?

How do you know they were DIR divers?

You're right, CCR isn't DIR.

Wait, what was the question again?

John

Don't feed the trolls . . . don't do it.

In case the OP is serious, no, that isn't some sort of DIR procedure or something. Sounds like inconsiderate divers, and I'd ask how you knew they were DIR, whatever that means these days.

No not Trolling. I cannot be an expert on everything so in this case rather than take a bad experience and make the assumption it applies to everyone I thought it best to ask. I suspect it was just bad manners but it was done with such complete disregard and lack of remorse that it would be easy to think it was the SOP of this group.

suspect it was just bad manners but it was done with such complete disregard and lack of remorse that it would be easy to think it was the SOP of this group.

Really, how could you think that extends to a whole class of divers and is not what you thought it was? Seriously asking here, and I'll accept that you are not trolling.

What was the thought process that led to you posting this thread? I'm curious.

I came away scratching my head and wondering if what happened is part of the DIR way or an example of individual application gone wrong?
The latter.

That was an example of "rude" divers. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

This is not to say whether they were 'DIR' or not. I have no way of knowing, and the fact that they apparently stated that they were means virtually nothing.

But whatever they were, that sort of behavior is rude regardless.

(But concluding from that one sample that the entire population would also be rude is not well-thought out either. If you were in a parking lot after a football game, and a guy in a Ford Expedition cut you off, would you conclude that all guys who drive Ford Expeditions would behave in a similar manner?)

Sorry you had that experience.

Some people are jerks. :shrug:

"Ideas are not responsible for the people who hold them."

John

Hence, my question if this is normal DIR procedure and mode of operation when other non DIR divers are in their path or simply bad manners that might have resulted in a dangerous situation if inexperience divers were involved?

Were they wearing DUI drysuits? Cus it seems that all the jerk divers in my area wear DUI drysuits. I think it is in the instruction manual or something.

Or maybe it was because they were wearing backplates. I think maybe that one piece webbing cuts off circulation and forces divers to do stupid things.

Maybe the Apeks regs? I believe the Apeks regs don't breathe very well, so you know, maybe they were jerks because of hypoxia. All Apeks divers are jerks because of it you know.

I also understand that all jetfin users are jerks. I think because their fins don't fit well, they have a real poor disposition.

Incidentally, are we making any progress with making this an opt in forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom