Is this wetsuit rash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fstbttms

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been in the hull cleaning business for almost 19 years and have tens of thousands of dives under my belt doing it. I have worn custom jons for 15+ years and have never, ever had any skin problems. But about a months ago, this appeared on the outside of both my calves:

wetsuitrash_300x400.jpg

It seems to be pretty much gone on the left calve but is getting worse on the right (which is pictured above.) I assume this is wetsuit rash, yes? Can anybody confirm? If so, why would it suddenly appear now associated with a suit I have been wearing for over a year?

Our allergies do morph over our lives, like every 7 years or so this could be a new sensitivity after so many dives.

However given the localization it could be more of a bite/sting situation.

I developed a similar rash on the lower back. My doctor took a biopsy to confirm it as lichen planus. At least there it's out of sight for the most part. If it's persisting you may want to have it looked at.

This may want to move to the medical forum.

Pete

Last edited:
This could be something you came in contact with. Where were you diving just before this happened?

It seems to be pretty much gone on the left calve but is getting worse on the right

Same wetsuit, different rash on both sides? I'm guessing some sort of contamination (chemical or biological), not allergies.

If you have a good SCUBA shop near you, ask if they can wash it in "everything" They typically have detergents as well as enzyme cleaners that will get rid of anything in the suit.

You might also want to see a doc.

Definitely go see a doc. Could be a staph infection.

However given the localization it could be more of a bite/sting situation.

I don't believe that's what it is. In fact, as I was doffing my suit yesterday, I noticed that one of the seams on the right leg pretty much aligned with some of the pimples. Nothing has changed recently regarding the jon except that some of the seam tape has come off on the right calf area. but not the spot I just mentioned and not at all on the left leg. At first I thought it might be something in my bed or maybe fleas or something but now am certain it is not.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 08:25 AM ----------

This could be something you came in contact with. Where were you diving just before this happened?

Yes. I am in the water 4 or 5 days a week.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 08:28 AM ----------

Same wetsuit, different rash on both sides? I'm guessing some sort of contamination (chemical or biological), not allergies.
Maybe but the left leg came and went fairly quickly while the right just kept getting worse worse, as if whatever was causing it was still present. And why only on my legs? Certainly other areas of my body would have been in contact with it if it were a contamination issue.

---------- Post added August 31st, 2013 at 08:33 AM ----------

Definitely go see a doc. Could be a staph infection.

Maybe, and if it persists, I will. But doing a quick Google search for staph infection symptoms shows that what I have doesn't really match most of those.

That almost looks like a folliculitis, where your skin follicles have become infected by a bacteria.

What are the symptoms?

Folliculitis usually looks like red pimples with a hair in the center of each one. The pimples may have pus in them, and they may itch or burn. When the pimples break open, they may drain pus, blood, or both.

None of these bumps seem to have a hair growing out of them. Plus I have seen no blood or pus. But otherwise it sure looks like the pictures I'm seeing of
folliculitis.

Maybe but the left leg came and went fairly quickly while the right just kept getting worse worse, as if whatever was causing it was still present. And why only on my legs? Certainly other areas of my body would have been in contact with it if it were a contamination issue.

There's no reason that both legs needs to be equally contaminated.

In any case, I'd still have the wetsuit washed and see a doc.

I would soak the wetsuit in some chlorine water, maybe pool water with a little extra bleach. Then I would scrub with some tide detergent and a brush, rinse and then allow the suit to dry inside out, in direct sunlight for a day or so. That should kill bacteria in the suit.. Not sure if it will clear up your legs.

Back
Top Bottom