Is this video real? 293ft on air...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the old days we used to take oxygen tollerance tests. That meant 100% O2 at 60 ft. Figure out the ppO2 for yourself.

What Thal said. O2 tox is not instant, it take some time. The amount of time depends. But most people at rest can take over 20 minutes at a ppO2 of 3.0. How do I know this? 30 minutes on 100% O2 @ 60 feet is the first stop on a standard Navy recompression table.

Well the table has you on 100% for 3 20 minute sessions with a 5 min air break between each session. For a total of 60 minutes over a 75 minute period.

A PPO2 of 2.1 certainly isn't recommended, as mentioned a few times on this thread the missing factor is the time at that PPO2, effectively it's a cumulative concentration which caused CNS oxygen toxicity.

If fact hitting a PPO2 of 2.1 for a few minutes is much less dangerous than hitting a PPO2 of 1.4 or 1.6 for a longer period - tables or software will tell you how long is equivilent :wink: Not that I'd ever recommend getting to a PPO2 of 2.1 :)

You'll generally find most people who have suffered a high PPO2 hit (usually due to incorrect switches on deco bottles) have been breathing that gas for quite a while before they take the hit, it's rarely instantaneous unless you're CNS clock is already full :wink:

So in short, it certainly not unrealistic to get to near 300ft on air and make it back without taking a hit, it's just being plain stupid! In fact posting it on youtube afterward is a bit like telling everyone "I'm stupid and I've got a video to prove it...." Let just hope they don't try to break 300ft next time!
Ditto.It's possible to dive 100m. on air.Dangerous for sure,stupid maybe,but certainly possible(I know people who did it.....yes,still well alive).

I have to call BS on the entire thing. No way a guy could do that dive wearing a snorkel, using fullfoot fins, and he had an AIR II. Just using that type of gear on a 50 ft. dive is enough to kill you!

And if that's not proof enough, it appears he wasn't wearing a BP/W! :shakehead:

I know a couple of guys who've taken air below 100m, so yeah, it's perfectly possible.

Oh, and I did a bit more sniffing and it looks like Dr. Dan Manion's 509ft record in the Bahamas is legit.

Edit. Light goes down at least as far 190m, this guy told me so - JOHN BENNETT Pacific Diving: Neptune Scuba Services, complete guide of Scuba Diving

I've been down over 1,000 ft in very clear water and was still able to see over 100 feet with ambient light. Of course I was looking out a port in a submarine, but light goes a lot further in 200 ft visibility than some of the old text books reported.

I have done it, what I like about zoli he shows how without a huge amout of gear. I take al 80 on vacation dive to 200' almost every dive I can. 300 is not much farther when vis is a 100 feet. Just depends if you enjoy the narcosis or uncomfortable with it.

I say try it youll like it.

Happy Diving

I'd posted this vid in another thread, and have been watching it and wondering how on earth this is possible. Apparently this guy dived 293ft on air at the back wall of Molokini crater, if my calculations are correct, 293ft = 9.9 ATM * .21 = 2.08 ppO2, isn't this guy supposed to be pretty dead at that concentration of oxygen? :idk:

The video doesn't appear doctored so care to give any explanations?

YouTube - 293 feet deep(89 meter) by zoli 11.

You don't automatically convulse if the PO2 goes above a certain value. Some days you might, others you might not. Most people can breath a PO2 of 2 Bar for several minutes without any adverse effects. Of course you won't know if you are "most" people unless you push your luck.

Some levels from a FAQ on Nitrox
0.1 Below the threshold for life support
0.12 Threshold for serious hypoxia
0.16 Threshold for minor hypoxia
0.21 Normoxic
0.35 Normal saturation exposure
0.5 Maximum saturation exposure
1.4 Maximum normal diving exposure
1.6 Exceptional exposure for work diving
1.8 USN exceptional exposure (was 2.0 until recently)
2.2 Belgian Navy limit (was 2.3 until recently)
3.0 Medical limit for life threatening condition (i.e. DCS or gas gangrene)

Someone once told me you can artificially make your computer read much deeper depths by setting it in altititude mode and diving at sea level.

If he really did got to 293 feet on air, I would have thought that the biggest problem would be that even on a high performance regulator, that would be like trying to breathe glue.

Someone once told me you can artificially make your computer read much deeper depths by setting it in altititude mode and diving at sea level.

If he really did got to 293 feet on air, I would have thought that the biggest problem would be that even on a high performance regulator, that would be like trying to breathe glue.

Any new regulator of decent quality will increase flow with depth. It's been that way for a decade or two on higher end regulators. The pressure of the water increases the pressure coming from the first stage. So.. At one atmosphere the 1st stage is pumping out about 140psi to the second stages. At two it's pushing out a bit more, and so on and so on. At least that's how it is with Dacor and Oceanic.

Also... Bare in mind that 30 years ago, the US Navy's limit on AIR was 320'. Do the math on that. And yes, lots of people did it without dying. I've been 271' on air. Yes you can still see surface light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom