Is this the average diver?

Is this the average diver?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 143 94.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Split fins really helped my diving, my ankles are trashed. The local shop was PADI and no one had heard of frog kicks. New divers are very much limited to the available gear and the available level of instruction. All my hoses were the standard length they came out of the box with. Jacket BCD was the future, streamlined with pockets; Dad had an old backplate, what a dinosaur!

New tech instructor came to town, new techniques, different gear, we don't know what we don't know. Same with PADI, it's an organization primarily based on resort diving. Simple techniques, simple gear for inexperienced divers that do 5-10 dives per year on holiday. PADI isn't dangerous, unless you want to use it for something it isn't.

Safe diving with tourists is less about the gear, more about the decision to dive. We never dropped inexperienced divers in a strong current or swell where gear limitations might matter, we'd move to another site where they could enjoy themselves. Unless it was a trip of guided divers and continuing ed divers, then maybe we'd do a backroll entry drift dive.

Hi Greg,

Thanks, probably not too much different from my own XTs, Dive Rite, they are slightly negative also.

Interesting that your friend switched from Scubapro Twin Jet Fins to the Defiant XTs, rather than from a paddle fin. That may be pertinent in interpreting the review. Apparently, a rather severe foot problem precludes his use of many other fins.

I look forward to reading your review of this fin. What fins were you using before acquiring your Defiant XTs?

For cold water, I have had these knock off brand similar to the OMS Slipstream Monoprene fins. Although mine are significantly heavier and more negative. In warm water I have been using Oceanic Vipers. I see myself using the Defiant XT's now for all my diving conditions.

. Simple techniques, simple gear for inexperienced divers that do 5-10 dives per year on holiday. PADI isn't dangerous, unless you want to use it for something it isn't.
OK, I see you are an expert on this.

Can you tell me exactly what you see in my technical instruction skills that makes such an inferior POS, pure pond scum? Please be specific.

OK, I see you are an expert on this.

You're seeing that on your own. I really don't think that was agency bashing, even though you've clearly taken offence. I can't speak to the PADI TEC system, I've been to one shop that offered it, sort of.

The post that started all of this was about big boats out of Cairns, which I expect I have sufficient experience. CDs and instructors I worked with had 2k dives, they had exemplary demonstration skills, but lived entirely in that '20 skills' and continuing education system. Can't imagine it'd be much different with an SSI or SDI dive resort, but PADI own that local market.

If you go on a trip from one of the GBR resorts, expect to be the odd one out. Expect the dive sites to be selected based on divers with 20 dives total experience, expect the dive brief to focus on the simple skills and simple techniques.

For cold water, I have had these knock off brand similar to the OMS Slipstream Monoprene fins. Although mine are significantly heavier and more negative. In warm water I have been using Oceanic Vipers. I see myself using the Defiant XT's now for all my diving conditions.
Thinking about it a bit more, as it has been about a decade, - my cold water fins have been much more of a knock off these Scuba Pro fins as I recall: Scuba Pro Jet Fins

I can't speak to the PADI TEC system, I've been to one shop that offered it, sort of.
Oh, I see. You can't speak for the PADI Tech system. Funny, I sure thought you did when you wrote...
Same with PADI, it's an organization primarily based on resort diving. Simple techniques, simple gear for inexperienced divers that do 5-10 dives per year on holiday. PADI isn't dangerous, unless you want to use it for something it isn't.

It sure sounded to me like you were telling potential tech students in my area that taking classes from me was dangerous based on your one experience in the one shop in your area on the other side of the world.

When I walk into 99% of the dive shops in California I see racks and walls of the same standard gear and most do not carry or endorse anything remotely resembling tech style gear like BP/W, long hoses, high end scooters, shearwaters, or any of the other SB darling gear most prized here.
This pretty much tells me that 99.99999% of gear used world wide by recreational divers is established industry standard open water gear.
Nothing wrong with that, it’s just an industry norm and a current standard retail model.
It’s easy to use, easy to fit a variety of people into/train new divers in, it has generous retail markup, and it’s easy on the un-athletic body.
I see no reason for it to change anytime in the foreseeable future.
As long as people are having fun, practicing good dive skills, and not dying then what’s the problem?

Does any competent diver actually use them?

Yes, I know quite a few very competent divers as well as instructors that use them.

Actually, I will razz people mercilessly for those stupid “robot” fins, as I call them. ScubaPro Seawing Novas. Every single person I see those with at a quarry is beating the hell out of the bottom and making the already low viz go to nothing...

Does any competent diver actually use them?
May I introduce you to Achim Schlöffel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom