Is this the average diver?

Is this the average diver?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 143 94.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And they are .4 lbs negatively buoyant also. Per fin.
Hi Greg,

Thanks, probably not too much different from my own XTs, Dive Rite, they are slightly negative also.

Interesting that your friend switched from Scubapro Twin Jet Fins to the Defiant XTs, rather than from a paddle fin. That may be pertinent in interpreting the review. Apparently, a rather severe foot problem precludes his use of many other fins.

I look forward to reading your review of this fin. What fins were you using before acquiring your Defiant XTs?

I dive Hydros Pro with split fins. I am pretty new to SB. Am I a laughing stock for some reason? I sense sarcasm but not sure what it is about. I assume an inside joke...
I thought people would make fun of me for having two alternates, but I suppose it is possible people were making fun of me all along behind my back for more than one reason :eek::)

The average diver on Scubaboard appears different from the true average diver because of some very vocal fanboys with some very strong opinions:

Regular jacket style BC? You're gonna die unless you get a BPW!
Even worse a Hydros Pro? You're not only gonna die, but you are a poser spending too much money on a terrible piece of gear
Even worser (is that a word LOL) an Air2? You're gonna die at least twice
Split fins??? You're gonna die, being pushed backwards, against even a slight current
Suunto Dive Computer? You're gonna die, bent, with a worthless piece of crap on your wrist

Maybe an inside joke of sorts, and definitely said (by me at least) tongue in cheek, but the "average" diver that posts a lot on Scubaboard is definitely not the average diver :nyah:

I don't see too many long hoses among recreational divers.
In my town there's three (I kid you not!) scuba diving clubs. In two of them, long hose and BP/W is the norm. In one of them, pee valves on drysuits is the norm. In one of them, jacket BCs and cheap neoprene drysuits is the norm.

Generally, I don't see many long hose rigs - nor backplates - outside clubs who have a significant fraction of techies. But within those clubs, also a significant fraction of the NDL only divers use trilam suits, backplates and a long hose config.

I guess the choice of gear is strongly influenced by your peers.

I dive Hydros Pro with split fins. I am pretty new to SB. Am I a laughing stock for some reason? I sense sarcasm but not sure what it is about. I assume an inside joke...
I thought people would make fun of me for having two alternates, but I suppose it is possible people were making fun of me all along behind my back for more than one reason :eek::)

Your sarcasm meter appears to need recalibration. :D

Dude, it was a joke! Why anyone would pay that much for a BC, I have no clue. And as for split fins, I had them for a while due to knee issues. But then I put in the gym time to strengthen the muscles around my knees, and I haven’t dived my long Atomic splits in two years. Dive Deep6 fins now. The splits are now for only when I snorkel laps in the pool for a workout. I can’t do frog or helicopter in splits. Definitely can’t go tech in splits.

Actually, I will razz people mercilessly for those stupid “robot” fins, as I call them. ScubaPro Seawing Novas. Every single person I see those with at a quarry is beating the hell out of the bottom and making the already low viz go to nothing. I’ve been beat in the head with those fins by students who appeared out of nowhere, as well as someone who attempted to sit on my head.

Does any competent diver actually use them?

So, one of the main reasons I posted this thread, and in the Basic Scuba Discussions, was to point out how many of us are not close to the average diver, and that it might be a good thing to lighten up and be a bit more cordial to newer divers. It doesn't seem to have worked very well.

Why are they going to die?
Because everyone dies sometime.

Spitfins? You're gonna die.
Jacket BCD? You're gonna die.
Long hose config? You're gonna die.
BP/W, trilam suit with pee valve, independent twins? You're gonna die.
Rebreather? You're gonna die.

Eventually.

In ways it did point out we are not close to the average diver. Just not with much more explicit acknowledgment.

Tone is hard to read in text and
- deep sarcasm <unmarked>
- argumentation for the love of it
- turf defense
makes it hard for anyone just walking in. There is a good bit of unmarked playful I'm bored sarcasm. Also unqualified "that makes no sense" (to me as a high altitude ice diver, not picking on any of them) about a rig/reg fine for diving elsewhere.

We all need labels below us of: always sarcastic, biting, out in <some> field in the baseball sense, etc.

Edit: :), and lightening up and being more cordial to new divers would be good.

(Michael: Keeps yapping about tiny side/doubles. And some funky fins. Edits posts (without changing core meaning) often, thinks clear writing is rewriting...aah, but stops once others continue the conversation record.)

Forums tend towards being populated with a lot of outliers.
Nerds of all kinds, contrarians narcissistic and otherwise, anoraks and industry shills. And now in the age of social media, those not welcome or willing to interact in that medium. Not all will fit every category but many of us fit in one.
No offense to any of those, that's just my experience in a lot of forums. That will skew any attempt to gather valid data of the larger group that the forum represents.
I have met some fine folks from here and other dive forums but I wouldn't classify any of them as " normal " divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom