Is this setup DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
LOL, like the 5' long hose in their single tank dive kit? Or gaiters? Or the ever-DIR ACB pockets? :wink:

Not what a meant. Any backplate or harness from Halcyon is DIR. Not true of other manufacturers. As long as you get the correct size wing for your intended use, any Halcyon wing is DIR, etc. Gaitors are a bad example. Before the cave cut suit was available they were needed and we made them ourselves. The pockets have been a standing joke for years but are for a totally different market. The 5' hose is stupid too, but is dir compliant.

RTodd:
Not what a meant. Any backplate or harness from Halcyon is DIR. Not true of other manufacturers. As long as you get the correct size wing for your intended use, any Halcyon wing is DIR, etc. Gaitors are a bad example. Before the cave cut suit was available they were needed and we made them ourselves. The pockets have been a standing joke for years but are for a totally different market. The 5' hose is stupid too, but is dir compliant.
Obviously you are taking this way more personally than I intended (note the big :wink:).

But as a blanket statement its valid to say that not everything that has the big "H" on it is technically DIR, neither were quite a few things at EE when I was there last.

I think people who don't have ready access to an instructor might do better with Dan McKay's book (and even that has minor issues) than to just buy the most expensive brand with the big "H" hoping that will be DIR later.

RTodd:

That's a good post for DIR, as it recognises other markets as well.

Look at the Pocket, not everyone has or will ever have a canister light. The pocket, while not DIR complaint, does allow for correct hose routing, which the advantages of may cause some to seek further DIR instructions as those advantages become clear.

As you said, it's for a totally different market, but one that can still lead to DIR.

Xanthro:
That's a good post for DIR, as it recognises other markets as well.

Look at the Pocket, not everyone has or will ever have a canister light. The pocket, while not DIR complaint, does allow for correct hose routing, which the advantages of may cause some to seek further DIR instructions as those advantages become clear.

As you said, it's for a totally different market, but one that can still lead to DIR.
The waistbelt pocket is different than the ACB ditchable weight pockets.

Edit:
Zippered Harness Pocket that isn't highly regarded as a solution.

ACB Release-able Weight Pockets which aren't actually DIR.

RTodd, I have been told that the 5' hose as an option for single tank diving despite being part of the "H" Single Tank Hose Kit is going the way of the 40" OW primary hose. Categorized as "used to be DIR".

StSomewhere:
RTodd, I have been told that the 5' hose as an option for single tank diving despite being part of the "H" Single Tank Hose Kit is going the way of the 40" OW primary hose. Categorized as "used to be DIR".

What? No 40" hose for rec OW? Really?

How 'bout a short torso diver that actually needs a 5 footer for it to loop correctly?

I believe ya ... it's just wierd... I guess...

I'm as unhappy about this as anyone, but apparently that was the word that came out of the GUE conference recently? I think a 5' hose is perfect for typical recreational OW dives, but then I used to use a 40" too so that shows what I know. :(

I'm still using the 5' as I (a) don't own a 7' yet and (b) its perfectly streamlined and works as though it was custom designed for me. I don't think any DIR police will have me staked out and arrested (well, maybe now that I've spilled the beans on SB! :wink:), but I was told it may well be an issue at future GUE recreational classes.

My advise to anyone (wanting to) starting out with DIR is: take fundies first. Then based on that crucial training buy your gear as you need it. This way you will buy what you need and not what you think you need (and 'learn on the internet'). Trust me if I say that many divers who went "DIR" after a career in non-DIR went on to sell most of their gear and buy new configs. While equipment is but a part fo DIR, the goal is to have uniformity. This inherently means that some people will have to change their gear, why not set yourself up for sucess on this and get the right stuff after initial training?

Stephen Ash:
What? No 40" hose for rec OW? Really?

How 'bout a short torso diver that actually needs a 5 footer for it to loop correctly?

I believe ya ... it's just wierd... I guess...
I'm fairly short at 161cm (somewhere around 5'3?) and I don't need the 5' hose. I actually found it to be somewhat restrictive while the 7' is perfect.

aquaoren:
I'm fairly short at 161cm (somewhere around 5'3?) and I don't need the 5' hose. I actually found it to be somewhat restrictive while the 7' is perfect.

My open water teammate is 4'11". She comfortably uses (with or without a can light) the same standard backplate and 7' hose that my 5'5" and 6'5" cave teammates wear. While I will acknowledge some very rare anomolies, the standard stuff basically works for everyone. That is why the 5' hose etc. is probably being phased out. The arguments for it are weak.

Sami:
I recently started a thread over in the " Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and weight systems" forum where I asked for advise about some gear that I am planning to purchase. Please see http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123238 for the exact list of equipment.

My primary goal was not to make the system DIR, and I also had some general questions on weights and wing lift, so that seemed like the best forum at the time. However, I am considering taking the DIR/F class at some point within the next year or so, because based on what I have read DIR seems to make a lot of sense to me and the GUE class seems like it would improve my skills in the water. So, I am curious if my setup would be considered "ideal" from a DIR perspective, or if there is anything that I should change or modify. By way of information, yes, I do plan to mount the primary regulator on a 7' hose and have the backup regulator hung around the neck on a bungee... But how about the gear itself?

Thanks. I would be grateful for any feedback, either in that thread or here.

Congrats on planning/thinking about going DIR. I suspect you will find the fundies class without a doubt exceptional and well worth it.

You might want to consider "pausing" on the initial gear purchase and do even more "hands on"- for yourself by yourself research. Doing so could easily help save you some cash (unless you have lots of that, in which case would you mind buying me a ....) but will more so put in your mind that it is the right way to go. Great places to start out the research will be checking out the GUE website with the "tech gear configuration guide", and purchasing the DIR fundies book, fundies workbook, and the "dressing for success brochure"... the DVD's are also worth while if you have the cash, but at least the books would start you off. The workbook probably won't be of much value until you take your fundies class at which time you will need it; buying it in a "package" will save you a little bit. And finally- - pick where and who you are going to take fundies with and then talk to them. I was amazed at how much help I received before, during and after the class. I have also been "amazed" by how many local shops will offer "dir solutions" or "tech diving solutions" when they have no real idea (this statement comes from very limited experience, but it does exist I've seen it and heard it- - whatever the case try going straight to the horses mouth...)

HAVE FUN!

Dave
(all simply my opinion, and I certainly am no expert... no flaming responses required...)
Did I mention that you'll probably get a lot out of the fundies class?!? :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom