Is this setup DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
We must really be bored tonight to be arguing over this but...

"My primary goal was not to make the system DIR"... could easily be read as... "My primary goal was 'to not' make the system DIR."

Trust me... Michael didn't mean to go off on anyone!

It's the damn split infinitives!!! See, that's why they are not allowed in English so there are fewer internet misunderstandings.

Blame it all on Star Trek, "to boldly go where no man has gone before"

On a more serious note, I'd have a hard time seeing that as a possible reading without it being pointed out, but it makes sense once it has been noticed.

Guys and gals, I am sorry to have caused such an argument... To be clear: I would, at this point, like my system to be DIR. I was not perfectly sure that DIR was the direction that I wanted to go in when I first put together my list of equipment; but the more I read about DIR, the more sense it makes.

Now that that has been cleared up... Is there agreement, then, that my list of equipment would be consistent with DIR philosophy (and that it could be DIR if combined with proper training and diving)?

Stephen Ash, with regard to the OMS G-240 SPG, I agree that it would be better if it had more increments and had a "cleaner" look. One advantage of this SPG to me, though, is that it is marked in both BAR and PSI. I am in a largely metric diving community around here (meters/BAR), but I expect that I will occasionally dive in the United States or other places that use imperial measurements. I am not sure what measurement system the local DIR divers here prefer--does anyone know? I guess that I should simply go to one of the local dive shops that provide GUE training and ask.

Since no one has come up with a DIW it must be DIR....

To the best of my knowledge:

DIR
* Hammerhead aluminum backplate
* Oxycheq Signature Series wing, 30 lbs lift
* Hammerhead 2 piece light STA
* Hammerhead hog harness kit
--- May want to replace 2 shoulder d-rings with bent d-rings.
* DiveRite tank straps (S/S hinge buckles)
* Apeks ATX-50 first and second stage w/DIN valve
* DIN-to-yoke adapter
* ScubaPro R190 secondary regulator
* OMS SPG
---Should have 100psi markings, sounds like this one does not
* Suunto Vytec DS wrist unit
---MUST be keeped in gauge mode, must not use wierless transmiter
* Suunto SK7 compass
* ScubaPro jet fins
* TUSA Platina mask, or Cressi Sub, or Mares Licra, or Tusa Visulator (whatever fits best)
---Mask must be low volumn
* Light for night diving (not sure about type or brand—any recommendations?)
---The DIR lights are a pair of solid backups and 1 cannister light primary (Salvo, Halcyon, DiveRite, etc)
* Blunt-tipped short knife
---Mounted on waist
* Supersize “sausage” SMB with marine grade reflective tape
---Carried in pocket, launched with a spool

Might be DIR, depending on mission
* Surgical shears
---Lots of DIR guys carry them in a pocket
* Storm whistle
---Carried in pocket
* Signaling mirror
---Carried in pocket
* Possibly an inflatable personal life raft (yes, I am the type who like to be prepared for the worst-case scenario…)
---Probably better off having a second surface marker
* Dye packs
---Might be, if the dive warents it. Carried in pocket ofcourse

Not really DIR
* DiveAlert noisemaker
* Strobe
---Might be DIR, if carried in pocket and only used for emergencies

Hey guys,

Sorry if there was any confusion in my post as it wasn't my intention to slam him for asking a question. I thought I made that point clear, but if I hadn't I'm sorry. The intent of my post was merely to suggest 2 things:

1) That in the DIR forum I think it best that we provide DIR solutions;

2) That the system is a holistic system. While for certain we fully recognize that there are many divers out there that take pieces that work for them, and ignore others pieces of the system. We know that, but our core belief is that the system is best taken as a whole so perhaps we are overly sensitive to a bifrucated approach.

Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I apologize if I did.

MHK:
Hey guys,

Sorry if there was any confusion in my post as it wasn't my intention to slam him for asking a question. I thought I made that point clear, but if I hadn't I'm sorry. The intent of my post was merely to suggest 2 things:

1) That in the DIR forum I think it best that we provide DIR solutions;

2) That the system is a holistic system. While for certain we fully recognize that there are many divers out there that take pieces that work for them, and ignore others pieces of the system. We know that, but our core belief is that the system is best taken as a whole so perhaps we are overly sensitive to a bifrucated approach.

Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I apologize if I did.

It cracks me up that you guys would jump on MHKs case when he is one of the most diplomatic of the GUE guys out there.

And now, for the politically incorrect, but more useful answer. If in doubt, buy Halcyon stuff. If you ask Halcyon for DIR gear that is all you will get. Every other manufacturer has horrible S-word stuff and may have some gear that is DIR compliant. But, until you know what you are doing, trying to save a few bucks will probably cost you more in the end. While I greatly respect the guys at Halcyon since they created off the shelf DIR gear in the first place and think they should benefit economically from it, competition is good and I have no problem with you buying from other manufacturers. However, all of the other manufacuturers make non-DIR compromises to try to expand their market. Therefore, buying their stuff is higher risk for newbs.

Since I am posting this from Singapore I can confidently say that the diving here is metric. I dive both sides of the world. US and Caribbean are imperial, pretty much everywhere else is metric. Personally, I get by using imperial stuff and can convert to bar and meters in my head to talk to the boat guys without freaking them out. (My wife gets out of the water on Asia-Pacific open water boats and gives them a profile of 100 for 60 and they freak every time.) However, as a no snafu thing, mark MODS in the depths of the gauge you are using and use the same system for depth (imperial or metric) as the rest of the team. You want 100psi increments for imperial gauges, but Bar is a much better system for pressure guages.

And finally, the resetable timer on the Vytec is very handy. If you have the wallet to do everything else correctly get that. Otherwise the Vyper. In Asia you do need to be able to tell many of the boats you are on a computer. But, they don't actually check it so you can leave it in gauge mode. In the Caribbean you can call a bottom timer a computer and they don't care. Here, some of the DMs will call you on that one.

RTodd:
If you ask Halcyon for DIR gear that is all you will get. Every other manufacturer has horrible S-word stuff and may have some gear that is DIR compliant. But, until you know what you are doing, trying to save a few bucks will probably cost you more in the end. While I greatly respect the guys at Halcyon since they created off the shelf DIR gear in the first place and think they should benefit economically from it, competition is good and I have no problem with you buying from other manufacturers. However, all of the other manufacuturers make non-DIR compromises to try to expand their market. Therefore, buying their stuff is higher risk for newbs.
LOL, like the 5' long hose in their single tank dive kit? Or gaiters? Or the ever-DIR ACB pockets? :wink:

I know what I'm about to say won't be popular.

Frankly, it must piss Michael off when he dives at sites or overhears strangers talking like they know something about DIR or more historical Hogarthian approaches to diving. But then observing them standing there speaking like authorities on the matter with partially implimented DIR clusters gear, mixed with out of compliance components, and then by their every action prove they don't have a clue.

If a solution is holistic it simply cannot be dissected. No doubt a single superior equipment component or configuration might bring its user benefit, why not it's "better" than the rest - and there's a reason. So if you got it good for you. But an ignorant observer who heard a diver claim "I'm diving DIR" becomes associated with that organization. That unfamiliar diver would look at that configuration which is quite frankly out-of-compliance with the complete solution, and have questions or problems which their unique configuration cannot answer or solve. As they dive would they also display unsafe behaviors? Would they misuse the equipment which isn't symbiotically aligned with the whole? And then by their actions would they defy the philosophy which they never learned and finally send a critical message to observers that DIR is certainly an odd cult, who would want to dive like those finatics?

I'm sorry, but I have to fully understand and agree with MHK, when I say he does not offend me at all for sticking up for the holistic approach that is DIR, it cannot be seperated, it cannot be dissected piecemeal, and quite frankly if you are completely suited DIR, you still don't have everything you need with out the training and active diving practices.

In an ideal world, you would purchase and receive a completely compliant rig head to toe, show up the first day of class with the gear unworn, get MHK to configure it for you for your very first dive, unlearn everything you have learned grasshopper, and never look back.

And for those of you who have taken away some single change to your system from ScubaBoard or observing other divers don't believe for a second you are part of DIR. Of course be thankful you learned of a better way, that's a great start. And if you had unsafe gear more power to you to fix your crap. But let the DIR instructors judge whether you are "part of the club".

I've not drank from the bowl of koolaid and yet as an outsider even I can discern the value of truely "belonging to the club", the wholistic approach, the complete system. I can only imagine how much of an insult this would be to someone who gives his heart and soul to it like MHK. On the otherhand I'm sure he's complimented by a sincere "disciple" seeing the light, yearning for something better, and one day maybe MHK might even be able to rely on him as a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom