Is this setup DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sami

Registered
Reaction score
I recently started a thread over in the " Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and weight systems" forum where I asked for advise about some gear that I am planning to purchase. Please see http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123238 for the exact list of equipment.

My primary goal was not to make the system DIR, and I also had some general questions on weights and wing lift, so that seemed like the best forum at the time. However, I am considering taking the DIR/F class at some point within the next year or so, because based on what I have read DIR seems to make a lot of sense to me and the GUE class seems like it would improve my skills in the water. So, I am curious if my setup would be considered "ideal" from a DIR perspective, or if there is anything that I should change or modify. By way of information, yes, I do plan to mount the primary regulator on a 7' hose and have the backup regulator hung around the neck on a bungee... But how about the gear itself?

Thanks. I would be grateful for any feedback, either in that thread or here.

Get rid of the Vytec and just get a Vyper or even a regular bottom timer. The Vytec has no features that would be needed in a DIR setting. It's just more expensive....

I'd trade the SP R190 for another ATX50, but it'll do the job. It's possible you might have to do some clever tuning to get it to work just right with the DS4, but it'll probably be ok.

Soggy:
Get rid of the Vytec and just get a Vyper or even a regular bottom timer. The Vytec has no features that would be needed in a DIR setting. It's just more expensive....

Soggy, no doubt the bottom timer option would save me money! I also understand the argument about not letting the computer plan the dive for you while you turn off your brain. However, I am a newbie and I do not yet trust myself not to make a mistake. I like the idea of being able to plan & time my dive while at the same time having a computer "look over my shoulder" and alert me if I am about to make a serious mistake. Also, from a practical viewpoint, there are several boats here in SE Asia that won't let inexperienced divers dive without a computer... :huhu: That may be the diveboat operators adjusting to the reality of how much a certification really means in terms of diving skills, I guess. Anyhow, the bottom line is that I need some sort of computer in order not to limit my dive choices.

As for the Vyper versus the Vytec DS, the price difference is significant but not enormous ($325 for the Vyper versus $445 for the Vytec DS). The Vytec DS seems like it may be worth the extra $120 given its ability to account for deep safety stops and gas switching between three nitrox gases. Again, I understand that this does not mean anything when diving "pure DIR style" but even so, the Vytec is supposed to have a somewhat better timer function when in gauge mode. But perhaps I am overestimating the value of these differences?

I haven't seen the Hammerhead hardware but, just looking at their pic, it looks like all of their D-rings are straight. You're gonna want to put bent D-rings on your chest. Also, it looks like they are suggesting that you will make your crotch strap out of the left over 2" harness webbing. I suppose it depends on just what they're using for webbing but most guys like a softer material for the crotch strap and stiffer stuff for the harness. I guess that's not a DIR thing... just common sense. A stiff crotch strap is going to eat up your exposure suit.

As far as the Vytec is concerned... I like 'em. They have a great timer funtion that the Vyper lacks. Soggy's right... they might be an unnecessary expense... but the timer thing is killer... great for timing nav legs or whatever. If you can afford it, then I say why not.

Sami:
As for the Vyper versus the Vytec DS, the price difference is significant but not enormous ($325 for the Vyper versus $445 for the Vytec DS). The Vytec DS seems like it may be worth the extra $120 given its ability to account for deep safety stops and gas switching between three nitrox gases.

None of these features will benefit you. Put in your own deep stops (half bottom depth or 50 ft from the bottom) using the Vyper. You still do the same safety stops. Gas switching is a technical diving thing, and once you get to that point you will have no need to have a computer tell you what to do when you switch gasses. Save the $120 and put it toward something else or more training.

Sami:
As for the Vyper versus the Vytec DS, the price difference is significant but not enormous ($325 for the Vyper versus $445 for the Vytec DS). The Vytec DS seems like it may be worth the extra $120 given its ability to account for deep safety stops and gas switching between three nitrox gases. Again, I understand that this does not mean anything when diving "pure DIR style" but even so, the Vytec is supposed to have a somewhat better timer function when in gauge mode. But perhaps I am overestimating the value of these differences?

You won't need all that gas switching stuff but the timer IS nice. The gauge mode is super. Sometimes it's fun to dive it in computer mode so that when you download it into the suunto software you can see the compartments load and unload. It can be a good learning tool.

Stephen Ash:
You won't need all that gas switching stuff but the timer IS nice. The gauge mode is super. Sometimes it's fun to dive it in computer mode so that when you download it into the suunto software you can see the compartments load and unload. It can be a good learning tool.

I like my Vytec and dive it in computer mode for air dives, even when doing gas switching. When I dive mix, I put it in guage mode. It is pretty cool to see the compartment loading and clearing during deco. I do not rely/follow my computer while on a dive. I just watch the depth and time.

DJ

Darn!

I GUESS that one is O.K. but I found mine less than optimal... 250 psi increments, multi-colored with sorta busy markings. I much prefer an SPG with 100 psi markings that's clean and easy to read. I've gathered up a bunch of Uwatec Master Divers but they are hard to find.

But... Soggy used to sell some nice DIR zone gauges... very clean... maybe he has some left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom