Is this normal (split off lake Michigan accident)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be normal to ensure hypothermia had been dealt with. There have been remarkable recoveries from cold water.

Correcting electrolytes and hypo or hyperglycaemia would be normal. Glucose abnormalities would have a bad outcome for meaningful recovery. The brain can only use glucose as a fuel.

Sounds like the medics and the captain did everything they could to give her the best chance of recovery.

@broncobowsher , I wouldn't read too much into the "glucose" comment in the article. The way I read the story, the ambulance crew halted resuscitation efforts in the field. Before doing that, it's likely that they checked her blood glucose level to rule out hypoglycemia as a cause of the arrest. Hyperglycemia management is not part of the acute phase of cardiac arrest care.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for the info. I didn't know anything about it before. Now I know a little. Sounds like a fairly normal thing for covering all the bases.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know anything about it before. Now I know a little. Sounds like a fairly normal thing for covering all the bases.

You're most welcome! It's hard to tell from the article but that would be the most likely explanation for them mentioning glucose.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom