is this a good dream set up ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real question here is whether you are looking to buy once. If you think you are interested in technical diving, there is much you can change here and reduce your costs enormously.

To begin with, the Infinity setup is more than $300 more expensive than other very functional backplate setups. The adjustable harness is not necessary, not used by most technical divers, and is costing you a lot. I am actually very much a fan of it, but for shops that rent gear and have to adjust it, or instructors who provide gear to students. For the rest of us, the harness is pretty much set and forget, and once well adjusted, is simple to get in and out of. Lots of money to save here.

Most technical divers do not use high end computers with transmitters. Many use simple bottom timers and SPGs. Even if you decide on a computer, to take advantage of the decompression information while you are learning, there are much cheaper options, and cutting out the transmitter reduces costs significantly.

As others have stated, the octo-inflator combo is not used by technical divers.

People who do overhead or decompression diving tend to evolve to a common philosophy: Simple is better. More complicated systems typically have more ways to fail, cost more, cost more to maintain, and offer marginal advantages. Most of us prefer to acquire gear that is simple, as inexpensive as is reasonable, and use the money we save to buy better lights, more training, or delicious indulgences like suit heaters :)

the resaon i want that harness is so that my brother can use it when he does his diving classes and when he goes out to dive and i'm not going. that way he doesn't have to rent gear and he can do more diving. he is in school so i support his diving habit :cool2: (we are not close to the same body type)

i'm not sure why i really want that computer i just kinda do :D from what i read it seems like alot of people really like it. also i have a line on a really cheap one that a family friend wants me to have (trading computer for 2 days worth of welding work that i told him i would do for free) so thoes are my reasons for thoes 2.
the octo-inflator is out, going to get a good octo!

i'm doing my best to KISS but how can i walk away from that computer deal :D

The real question here is whether you are looking to buy once. If you think you are interested in technical diving, there is much you can change here and reduce your costs enormously.

To begin with, the Infinity setup is more than $300 more expensive than other very functional backplate setups. The adjustable harness is not necessary, not used by most technical divers, and is costing you a lot. I am actually very much a fan of it, but for shops that rent gear and have to adjust it, or instructors who provide gear to students. For the rest of us, the harness is pretty much set and forget, and once well adjusted, is simple to get in and out of. Lots of money to save here.

Most technical divers do not use high end computers with transmitters. Many use simple bottom timers and SPGs. Even if you decide on a computer, to take advantage of the decompression information while you are learning, there are much cheaper options, and cutting out the transmitter reduces costs significantly.

As others have stated, the octo-inflator combo is not used by technical divers.

People who do overhead or decompression diving tend to evolve to a common philosophy: Simple is better. More complicated systems typically have more ways to fail, cost more, cost more to maintain, and offer marginal advantages. Most of us prefer to acquire gear that is simple, as inexpensive as is reasonable, and use the money we save to buy better lights, more training, or delicious indulgences like suit heaters :)

Is this a good dream setup?

Hades NO!

Do you really think everybody has the same consensus opinion on scuba equipment, well, they don't.

The stuff you list, I would not buy any of it, but that is me, it may well be your dream, it is certainly not mine. I am a minimalist.

N

Hades NO!

Do you really think everybody has the same consensus opinion on scuba equipment, well, they don't.

The stuff you list, I would not buy any of it, but that is me, it may well be your dream, it is certainly not mine. I am a minimalist.

N

thats what i'm trying to be:D

teach me the ways oh wise one (what gear do you dive)

i may not be able to be as minimalist as you do to cold water :cool2:

thats what i'm trying to be:D

teach me the ways oh wise one (what gear do you dive)

i may not be able to be as minimalist as you do to cold water :cool2:

Seriously young undersea god, the regulator you have chosen is OK, the computer, well, hoseless is in though I disdain it for a B&G spg and a cheap wrist computer (if any exist anymore) and if I must be corralled into a BC to conform to the wishes of the majority it will be an OxyCheq Mach V wing/BP.

I am not real big on the integrated inflator and octopus but they have a logic to them and if you insist, have at it.

If you are going to get a jacket type BC look for one of the travel types (like the AL Zuma) or if travel is not a concern, the weight integrated ScubaPro Stab Jacket or similar is a good choice or the Classic no weight integrated version. Mares, well, they have good masks and fins, regulators so so, their BC, nah.

Most all equipment made today by mainline companies is of good quality, you, have to decide what you want and expect from it, lightweight travel, heavy duty tech, pretty and fluffy.

Whatever you get, you will learn from it and buy more wisely next time, peoples tastes change and no set of gear can encompass all scuba and diving activities which is why so many have multiple gear sets.

Look for basic, simple, sturdy, no gimmicks, good price, service anywhere.

Good luck:)

N

trying to get a dream of a set up going here and this is what I have so far (what do you think what would you change?)

1:UWATEC Galileo SOL Hoseless Wrist Dive Computer Complete with Transmitter ( UWATEC Galileo SOL Hoseless Wrist Dive Computer Complete with Transmitter )
2:NEW Halcyon "Infinity" BC System ( Wreck Diver Supply )
3:Apeks XTX 200 Nitrox ( Apeks XTX 200 Nitrox. Regulators Regulators, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba-diving )
4:Mares Air Control (octopus and inflator)
( Mares Air Control. Regulators Octopus, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba-diving )

so how is that set up ?? what would you add or change? I just dive on air right now but I want to get into tech.
i'm going to be in the water alot this year so i want good gear and i don't like rebuying things :shakehead:
if i eat potatoes for 2 months ill be able to get this gear :D

i'm trying hard not to look at the cost..... really hard :blinking:

If you think you are going into tech scrap the computer (no trimix capability I believe), scrap the octo/reg thing (not used in technical diving), the BP/W is good quality but you can get an equivalent system much cheaper, the regs are decent but again, lower cost models work just as well.

I wouldn't buy any of the gear you have listed for technical diving. It is either overpriced and/or inappropriate.

Try borrowing lots of setups before you settle on gear to buy. Speak to people who do the diving you want to do and see what they like. Otherwise you most likely will end up rebuying lots of gear. Actually even if you buy lots of gear that you like you'll probably end up with multiple items if you get into tech diving...

that was a great read. thank you very much for that post!!!!

ok ill add another apex reg

but i'm in love with that back plate and wing set up. can't find any bad reviews on it!!

I have one and really like it! The only bad review it might get is price but you get what you pay for with Halcyon. I also understand most items are made in the USA!!!

Just and FYI Deep Sea Supply makes some really nice stuff as well.

what do you think i should have in its place??

your right Apeks regs are to 40% but i thought i could just dive this one with air and when i get into tech just have it 02 cleaned and i'm good to 100% am i way off here??

You've been getting a lot of good info here.

Unless your made of money I wouldn't use such an expensive reg on a deco bottle. You're not going to be breathing 100% O2 deeper than 20ft. So for this purpose a simple, inexpensive, unbalanced, O2 clean reg will do.

Anyway if you're profile is correct, you've got a bit until your at that level.

If you think tec is the route you're going to end up, try this reg set up for starters. All Apex here. Get the DS4 1st stage and get two XTX 50 2nds. Put your backup 2nd on a 22-24" hose and your primary on 5-7' hose. If the BP you're looking at doesn't come with a STA (Single Tank Adapter), consider one. Get everything in DIN.

The DS4 can be had for $150 and it is a very popular 1st for the technical folk. You're 2nds are solid and they will perform exactly the same and again the XTX 50's are popular with the tech folks.

If you move to doubles, all you'll have to do is add a SPG another 1st and change one, or both, of your hoses. If you go with a 7' hose you won't need to replace that.

Most 1st stages can be clean and have any internal parts replaced for service in high 2 set ups.

Also if your going down the route of tec, get a simple SPG and a lot of tec folks use simple bottom timers. You could save a few bucks vs. the computer you specified.

2 XTX 50 2nds check DS4 din 300 bar check (i thought you might need more then one h/p port???)

still getting the H bp/w as both me and my bro can fit in it (sta + 6lbs check)

still getting the computer as it is going to be free :D (trading for welding work)

brass and glass spg check

dive lights already have

knifes, already armed to the :D

so i think i have the main stuff down oh wait more training T- 30 days and counting

ill be getting this stuff in about a week so there is still time to change my mind... anyone care to bash what i'm getting feel free!!

the plan is to have as little as i can but have the best !!!!!

P.S. ill be doing a DM internship in october but i was told to get what ever gear i wanted to and that i might need a BCD if i went on to an instructor as it is easy to teach if you have the same type of gear

You've been getting a lot of good info here.

Unless your made of money I wouldn't use such an expensive reg on a deco bottle. You're not going to be breathing 100% O2 deeper than 20ft. So for this purpose a simple, inexpensive, unbalanced, O2 clean reg will do.

Anyway if you're profile is correct, you've got a bit until your at that level.

If you think tec is the route you're going to end up, try this reg set up for starters. All Apex here. Get the DS4 1st stage and get two XTX 50 2nds. Put your backup 2nd on a 22-24" hose and your primary on 5-7' hose. If the BP you're looking at doesn't come with a STA (Single Tank Adapter), consider one. Get everything in DIN.

The DS4 can be had for $150 and it is a very popular 1st for the technical folk. You're 2nds are solid and they will perform exactly the same and again the XTX 50's are popular with the tech folks.

If you move to doubles, all you'll have to do is add a SPG another 1st and change one, or both, of your hoses. If you go with a 7' hose you won't need to replace that.

Most 1st stages can be clean and have any internal parts replaced for service in high 2 set ups.

Also if your going down the route of tec, get a simple SPG and a lot of tec folks use simple bottom timers. You could save a few bucks vs. the computer you specified.

The apeks xtx 200 is good only for a maximum of 40% nitrox. For higher blends, you would need to buy their different model which is colored green.

Love my galileo sol as i own one. However, it may not be able to meet your requirements for tech purposes. there are dive computers that are designed specifically for tekkies, such as Liquivision, VR3 to name some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom