is this a good dream set up ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madprops

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
trying to get a dream of a set up going here and this is what I have so far (what do you think what would you change?)

1:UWATEC Galileo SOL Hoseless Wrist Dive Computer Complete with Transmitter ( UWATEC Galileo SOL Hoseless Wrist Dive Computer Complete with Transmitter )
2:NEW Halcyon "Infinity" BC System ( Wreck Diver Supply )
3:Apeks XTX 200 Nitrox ( Apeks XTX 200 Nitrox. Regulators Regulators, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba-diving )
4:Mares Air Control (octopus and inflator)
( Mares Air Control. Regulators Octopus, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba-diving )

so how is that set up ?? what would you add or change? I just dive on air right now but I want to get into tech.
i'm going to be in the water alot this year so i want good gear and i don't like rebuying things :shakehead:
if i eat potatoes for 2 months ill be able to get this gear :D

i'm trying hard not to look at the cost..... really hard :blinking:

Nice set up. To my knowledge though all Apeks regs are EAN approved to 40% right out of the box. I have the XTX 200 and an ATX 100. Solid regs.

I really, really, really, really don't like any octo/inflator set up.

You're going to donate your primary which is on are real short hose. It is very hard to almost impossible to make eye contact with your buddy when making your ascent. I know it eliminates a hose. Also, typically the LP hookup is different than a normal LP hook up. So if you wanted to throw your regs onto another set up that did have the octo/inflator, you're SOL.

trying to get a dream of a set up going here and this is what I have so far (what do you think what would you change?)

1:UWATEC Galileo SOL Hoseless Wrist Dive Computer Complete with Transmitter ( UWATEC Galileo SOL Hoseless Wrist Dive Computer Complete with Transmitter )
3:Apeks XTX 200 Nitrox ( Apeks XTX 200 Nitrox. Regulators Regulators, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba-diving )
( Mares Air Control. Regulators Octopus, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba-diving )

so how is that set up ?? what would you add or change? I just dive on air right now but I want to get into tech.
i'm going to be in the water alot this year so i want good gear and i don't like rebuying things :shakehead:

Your only mistake, is the Mares air control, junk unless you do not plan on going GUE or Dir, the set up seems that you are headed that way:cool2::eyebrow::D

what do you think i should have in its place??

your right Apeks regs are to 40% but i thought i could just dive this one with air and when i get into tech just have it 02 cleaned and i'm good to 100% am i way off here??

My feeling is, when you're buying your first gear, do some research then get some basic good gear so you have decent stuff that fits and you're not renting any longer than necessary. Dive with it for awhile and you'll have learned enough about diving and where you're going with it to better know what you really want. If you're lucky, you'll still like some of what you bought. Buying expensive/feature laden gear does not make it less likely you'll find yourself rebuying stuff later, maybe the opposite.

I'm not a fan of octo inflators either, though some people like them. It's definitely not a tech diving choice. And if I had to eat potatoes for 2 months to do it I wouldn't buy an expensive hoseless AI computer or that BC. Even if I didn't have to eat potatoes might still not be a good idea. More expensive doesn't always mean better, or more suitable for tech. The thing about dream setups, you're new and your definition of "dream" will probably change. And you'll wind up with some very expensive gear wishing you'd bought something else.

what do you think i should have in its place??

your right Apeks regs are to 40% but i thought i could just dive this one with air and when i get into tech just have it 02 cleaned and i'm good to 100% am i way off here??

Another Apex regulator would be a great start. Check out this link for some great information.

https://www.gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html

I would add an atomic subframe mask, sv1 snorkle, smoke on the water fines, minus the sol get a luna who needs to know your pulse if your going SLOW SLOW SLOW and I would get a second xtx 200 instead of the octo inflater. Also get a 6 foot halcyon DMB and a 150 foot reel. a Brass and glass SPG for redundancy. Also if your going to get a rebreather saving the money on the sol will be good when you have to get a ccr computer anyway. I would also add a 3mm farmer jon with hood, a 3mm shortie, a 3mm full wet suit, 5 mm booties, drysuit rock boots and a white fusion dry suit of your choice. You probably want to look into getting a scooter too. And have you thought about can lights and 2 backups, compasses, knifes, line cutters, shears, underwater camera, strobes.

seriously though besides the octo/inflater and the sol I think thats all solid gear. The sol to me just has unnecessary features and you could save some money going with the luna. Also people may give you crap about the infinity but the cinch system is really nice and it's great it all comes in one big package. you could take that singles rig from canada to couzmel without re adjusting your harness.

I would add an atomic subframe mask, sv1 snorkle, smoke on the water fines, minus the sol get a luna who needs to know your pulse if your going SLOW SLOW SLOW and I would get a second xtx 200 instead of the octo inflater. Also get a 6 foot halcyon DMB and a 150 foot reel. a Brass and glass SPG for redundancy. Also if your going to get a rebreather saving the money on the sol will be good when you have to get a ccr computer anyway. I would also add a 3mm farmer jon with hood, a 3mm shortie, a 3mm full wet suit, 5 mm booties, drysuit rock boots and a white fusion dry suit of your choice. You probably want to look into getting a scooter too. And have you thought about can lights and 2 backups, compasses, knifes, line cutters, shears, underwater camera, strobes.

seriously though besides the octo/inflater and the sol I think thats all solid gear. The sol to me just has unnecessary features and you could save some money going with the luna. Also people may give you crap about the infinity but the cinch system is really nice and it's great it all comes in one big package. you could take that singles rig from canada to couzmel without re adjusting your harness.

who needs a snorkel, the only thing that is sufficient in this post is the LUNA computer:D

Another Apex regulator would be a great start. Check out this link for some great information.

https://www.gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html

that was a great read. thank you very much for that post!!!!

ok ill add another apex reg

but i'm in love with that back plate and wing set up. can't find any bad reviews on it!!

i dive with a 7mm farmer john camo suit ( i may be a freediver :D ) already have two back up lights. was thinking about the luna... still not sure. 6 foot halcyon DMB and a 150 foot reel both great ideas!!! compasses is in the overpriced computer :D already have 3 knifes. thinking about an spg that i can keep out of the way. dc1000 is on the way :D octo inflater is out xtx 200 is a maybe
i know i am missing more but i'm just a free diver and my thoughts are who needs gear to get to 130ft :cool2: (puts on flame proof freediving suit)

Back
Top Bottom