Is this a decent dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JenFid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Pulling from my other thread which is about wetsuits, I've had my eye on this dry suit, but knowing nothing about dry suits, I have no idea if it's a good one or not.

I gave the gal my specs and she replied that she was about the same size as me and it fit her comfortably. I am just wary since if it doesn't fit I can't return it. But as a new diver I'm not ready to drop a ton of cash on a dry suit (and our LDS only carries DUI), since I've spent a couple grand at least already on my gear.

Any opinions from dry suit pros?

Womens Pink XL Drysuit | eBay

If it was 200 "maybe". IMO $400 for an unknown brand(?) unknown quantity(?) is too much of a risk. You can buy a brand new Whites for around $900. Ok, I know that's more than double but...you know it fits, you know it doesn't leak and comes with warranty. Maybe I'm too safe but I wouldn't buy it. Certainly sight unseen. If it has any issues i.e leaks, bad zipper, seals, valves, boots you could easily spend hundreds getting it repaired.

+1 for what BS said

I tried to google Gates Pro-TDX (350) and all I got was dead-end links on the few found pages. So no informtion about what this drysuit may have initially cost.

Add to this what BS already mentioned about possible problems - and adding to that likely no support from the manufacturer even so it may be fixed with standard means - then I consider it a NoGo.

Also buying a drysuit which you had no chance to test is always a risky business, unless it is *really* cheap and you accept it can become a complete lost.

Thanks for the replies - that is along the same lines as I was thinking. I could always offer her $200 for it and see where it goes, lol. It was originally listed for $450 but the price has dropped, so maybe it will keep dropping.

One of my concerns is this though: how will I be able to try out a dry suit before I buy? Like I mentioned our LDS only carries DUI which is a *bit* above my "willing to pay" level.

Thanks for the replies - that is along the same lines as I was thinking. I could always offer her $200 for it and see where it goes, lol. It was originally listed for $450 but the price has dropped, so maybe it will keep dropping.

One of my concerns is this though: how will I be able to try out a dry suit before I buy? Like I mentioned our LDS only carries DUI which is a *bit* above my "willing to pay" level.

If you buy a Whites Fusion, unless you have unusual proportions, you'll likely not need to try on first. Due to their design they fit a wide range of body sizes. Go to their website, link below, and check the size guide. If you buy online contact Mike at Dive Right In Scuba he's very good to deal with and often has very attractive prices. Good luck.

Whites Diving Homepage - Whites Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom