Is there such a thing as beginner-level Portland area diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hood canal is definitely going to be the most diver friendly in the area. We make the 4+ hour drive from Eugene a few times a year. One site on the coast that I've actually had some pretty decent dives is the Newport Fingers. Like most coastal sites they are tide dependent and subject to low visibility when there is a strong onshore flow, or lots of silt in the rivers, or they decide to dredge the channel etc. Entry is over over some jetty boulders, but you can drift from one finger to the next depending on the tide, or stay on the side protected from the current. I don't think it's 40ft deep at high tide if you shove your head in the sand.

My favorite Oregon coast diving is down in Port Orford (more sheltered, not as tide dependent, but still not simple entry) but that's a long haul from Portland, and you could be up in the straits instead.

Thanks, Gachnar! My secret hope is to have enough of our kit & training together so we can dive in Newport in June when I'm out in Lincoln City for work for a few weeks. We'll see...

We have a travel trailer and hope to hit the WA sites over the next few years, too. Sounds like a lot of fun, once you know what you're doing.

We'll add Port Orford to the list. We have family in Salem and could maybe drop off the kids for a weekend on our way down there. Thanks!

I just about broke my leg once at the Netarts fingers trying to go in on the finger the farthest out -- So be careful.
Wave kinda crashing up, windy, and slimey rocks and a leg takes a slip into a hole between the rocks and my body wants to keep moving forward.
Just thinking about how close that was to massive break still gives me shivers......

So my advice is to dive on the first couple fingers -- A lot easier to get into the water.

I just came back from Mikes resort, it was great. totally recommend it, but sadly the octopus was not there (too many lingcod). I plan on heading up to Puget Sound sometime

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom