Is there official recommendation for flying after hyperbaric chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBDNP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Follow up question to earlier post

Was in chamber on Sept 9 - table 6 4h 45min - got out at 900 pm
neuro symptoms resolved - was thought to be mild case (numbness digits, cerebellar symptoms (lack of balance)

Am scheduled to fly from Cozumel to Houston and then onto NY on Sat Sept 12 at 1230 pm (so 63.5 hours after out of chamber).

From what I am reading seems like 72 hours is minumum
Is there an official recommendation?
MD at DAN chamber felt flying at this time was probably ok but I don't want to take anymore unnecessary risks of a relapse.

The doctor there said generally it is 72 hours but he said since neurologic symptoms were mild that I could fly after 48 hours.....Just want to make sure it is ok as when reading articles online most say 72 hours...did not know if there was an 'official' stance

Kathleen,

The U.S. Navy Diving Manual also recommends waiting 72 hours to fly, provided your symptoms resolved completely with treatment. If you notice any recurrence of symptoms, notify a flight attendant, get yourself on O2, and get medical attention when you land.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom