Is there much difference between Solo Diving, and the new Solo Diving revised?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went online to order a copy of Robert Von Maier's Solo Diving, and discovered there is a new Solo Diving Revised, released as of January 2007. It's a fair bit more money (twice as much on one website) compared to the original, and requires a longer wait on ordering. So the question is, does anyone know if there is any substantial difference between the two, that justifies the wait and expense, or should I just get the regular one?

Jim

I have the regular one, and I would have to say that the regular one was not that impressive to me. Personally, I would wait for the new one. Of course, if you have read up on solo diving, and looked at what some of the more experienced people here have posted, then I would say save your money all together.
Just my two cents worth, of course.

Dark Wolf

That has been another option too haha. I've got around 25 solo dives under my belt, with advice and suggestion from my instructor. But I figured more education is good education. Anyone else have any experience good or bad with this book?

The reader reviews don't look all that good. I also haven't seen any reference to a 2007 version -- the book seems to be an Aqua Quest publication, 2nd edition is 2001.
Up on Amazon, an earlier version of the book that says "Revised Edition" on the cover is actually older, from the '90s.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definetly going to hold off on getting a copy of that book for now.

dannobee:
I'd say don't waste your money on that rag. I have that book and was less than disappointed.

Wait for the second edition, or better yet, save your money and keep doing what you're doing.

less than dissapointed......wouldnt that be ok or happy :) knew what you meant......lol

I just got a copy of the 2002 printing//second edition....I have not learned a thing in the first 52 pages.

dannobee:
I'd say don't waste your money on that rag. I have that book and was less than disappointed.

Wait for the second edition, or better yet, save your money and keep doing what you're doing.
Ditto.

The book is incredibly uninformative. The content is so weak you can't tell why the author bothered to write any of it down.

Download a free copy of "How to Sling a Pony Bottle" from a tech site and you will get the only useful info in the book.

FishDiver:
Download a free copy of "How to Sling a Pony Bottle" from a tech site and you will get the only useful info in the book.

Well since I've been slinging a pony for a year and a half now, I guess I'll be ok without that book. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom