is there freedom of speach on Scubaboard and is it an american site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what's it mean when spelled with a K, Walter?

that you are a radical hippie?

As a board we really only restrict people from telling others that they can learn how to dive or dive in an overhead environment without being directly supervised by an instructor. Probably not in the TOS, but we will edit it anyway. I won't be party to an execution by ignorance.

Individually, you will find a wide range of opinions on what is acceptable or not in dive training and even diving. We only ask that you keep the discussion civil.

A dive shop / boat owner / etc making you show your card is just freeing themselves from liability i'm sure. I know if I was one of those companies, I wouldn't let someone off of my boat without proper certification. I value my money / freedom.

PoseidonSv:
No nothing illegal, I was wondering if I needed to come uop with a new Agency on my own to get me certified om my own built and constructed Rebreather. And in that case i could just as well certify myself to any level I like anyway.

which brings another question do we really need so many agencies and different courses for different rebreathers?

If you are not intending to do anything illegal, then why do you need a card at all? Your claim seems to be that you have accumulated that knowledge on your own so you don't need the course. But, showing a certification card from an agency is the same as making the statement that you have completed that training from that agency. Isn't that a fraudulent claim? Isn't making a fraudulent claim illegal? If you come up with your own agency are you going to come here and complain that no one besides you recognizes it?

NetDoc:
As a board we really only restrict people from telling others that they can learn how to dive or dive in an overhead environment without being directly supervised by an instructor.
TOS:
This is a safety oriented board. While there is a lot to be learned here, we strongly advise against learning how to dive, how to enter an overhead environment or any technical diving on your own. A formal class is the only way to do this safely, and we encourage you to avail yourself of as much training as possible. A competent instructor will be able to see safety concerns that you might miss. Consequently, we forbid our users from promoting such conduct on the board either directly or by implication.
Here's the text.

El Orans:
I'm sure you'll be able to understand this...

You, my good man, are mistaken.

catherine96821:
what's it mean when spelled with a K, Walter?

that you are a radical hippie?

I think it means you didn't use spell check or are using a language other than English. There are no hippies anymore, my dear. Were you one in an earlier life? You should see the photo on a couple of my c-cards - can you say Charlie Manson?

pupdiver:
But, showing a certification card from an agency is the same as making the statement that you have completed that training from that agency. Isn't that a fraudulent claim? Isn't making a fraudulent claim illegal? If you come up with your own agency are you going to come here and complain that no one besides you recognizes it?

It would be, but I missed that part. He merely asked to buy old c-cards. I see old college degrees for sale in antique shops. I even see them on walls from time to time. I'd love to have an LA County card from 1954. Since that was before I was born, I doubt anyone would be deceived into thinking it was my certification. It would, however, go quite nicely with my 1955 regulator and tanks (also before I was born).

There are places you can buy new c-cards. If you want a quick and easy cert, that would be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom