is there ANYWHERE to do open water dives to finish certification before March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmontgom

New
Reaction score
I am taking my NAUI classes in January and I will need to do the open water dives to get my certification. I am going on a dive trip in March but I don't want to spend my first two days doing these dives, I want get in as many cool dives as possible (I've been diving uncertified or on resort courses a few times so I'm not totally inexperienced). I cannot find anywhere to do my open water dives before March though. Can anyone help? I am in Philadelphia but I will travel as far as I need to!!! ANY help is much appreciated. Thank you so much!

I know of at least 1 dive shop that would do Open Water for you at Bainbridge Quarry (Columbia, PA, not that far from you). Unfortunately, they are PADI, not NAUI. You might call the quarry (info at http://www.divebsc.com/) and see if they know of any NAUI shops.

I assume you've already checked with Duda's Diving, the only NAUI shop I'm familiar with in your area. I know they use Dutch Springs, which is closed until April, so I'm guessing they're not doing any certification now.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

mmontgom:
I am taking my NAUI classes in January and I will need to do the open water dives to get my certification. I am going on a dive trip in March but I don't want to spend my first two days doing these dives, I want get in as many cool dives as possible (I've been diving uncertified or on resort courses a few times so I'm not totally inexperienced). I cannot find anywhere to do my open water dives before March though. Can anyone help? I am in Philadelphia but I will travel as far as I need to!!! ANY help is much appreciated. Thank you so much!

I work with a NAUI Shop. They often do checkouts in the Florida Keys for those who can't wait 'til Spring

Check out This Shop
Give a call.

If you don't mind the cold you could calll NESS and see if they will do it. I know they have done checkout dives at Willow Springs which is out by Hershey in the winter months. NESS is NAUI. Willow only opens during the winter by apointment and they have the heated lobster shack which will make the SI a little more bearable.

Another option is to think about combining dry suit cert with OW -- I did that last year. Your shop might cut you a deal on the second cert, and as long as there's open water nearby you should be able to get the dives in locally.

Your shop should be abole to give youa referral to Someplace Warm.

Pretty much the entire state of Florida and the Carribean would be happy to help you with your Open Water Dives.

For example I just googled "NAUI Referral" and came up with:
http://www.force-e.com/instruction/naui/naui_index.shtml, which is Force-E in Florida. There were 13,799 other hits, so you should be able to find someplace. :cool:

Terry

mmontgom:

NAUI subscribes to the Universal Referral Program. This means that any resort or facility with IDEA, NASDS, NAUI, PDIC, SSI and YMCA referral instructors on staff can do your checkouts. See http://www.universalreferral.com/ They have a search engine that will allow you to select the facility of your choice in completing your training.

mmontgom:
Adventure Scuba in VA is NAUI and has a cert trip going to Crystal River, FL the end of January.
www.scubava.com

Hi everyone, thank you for your help. As for the posts regarding going somewhere warm, I am most likely going to Bonaire in March. I am going with a buddy who is a scuba instructor but he is in medical school now so his insurance has lapsed and since we will only be there for 7 days I don't want to spend the first two doing these dives without him. I'd like to be able to try to keep up with him. My last resort option, so to speak, is to do the referral dives. I am going to call around to the places everyone suggested. I will take PADI classes if I have to. Thanks!

There are a few independent instructors that are members here and on wreckvalley.com that may be willing to help you. Try posting at the wreckvalley site to see if one of them are willing to dive in winter.

Back
Top Bottom