is there anything missing from the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like there to be a course/class a person could take on how to alter/repair wetsuits. I have a Fourth Element Farmer Jane that I thought a person I found online would be able to alter, but she sent it back to me saying she couldn't because it wasn't neoprene. I'm sure others on ScubaBoard have had the same problem getting their wetsuits altered or repaired. I've sewn since I was very young and believe I could provide a service if only I knew the correct way to alter/repair wetsuits. Maybe there is a course/class out there already that I haven't been able to find????

I like the idea of free fills for pony bottles! Shops would probably sell more of them if they did that and they would probably make up for the little bit of air by the increase in VIP's and hydro's...

the labour of the fill is the same though, innit. Associated fixed overhead for the fill would be small.

some smart chap should consider self service air fills... what could possibly go wrong??! maybe add a (lot of) big red buttons.

Currently doing my AOW. I think there should be classroom time. We go over the chapter, then we go do the dive.

that's not the intention of the AOW, or at least it wasn't in the shop I DM'd at. the idea of the AOW is that you're a somewhat experienced diver looking for a bit more guided coaching to enjoy a lot more and varied diving. therefore the learning is in the practice.

also for something like PPB you'd do virtually no more theory than in your OW, it's about getting out there in shallow water and swimming through hoops, hovering, swimming through hola hoops... all those nasty things that instructors love to think up.

if you want more of the theory explained, just pull the instructor aside and ask. they'll be more than happy to talk one on one.

--Probably difficult to do, but regarding taking classes: It would be nice for shops to be able to get a commitment from a person that they will not cancel (or forfit some $). So that one can plan to take a course and not have it cancelled for lack of number of students. Of course that would affect instructors as well. People like to plan things, especially if they have day jobs.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I believe this exists and is just called, "Private instruction"

I've never understood why anyone would sign up for shared time unless they were sharing it with a specific person or dive team anyway.

you get a much better interaction and learning environment with small groups of people who don't all know eachother than you do with private classes.

mathauck0814: I would think the reason one would sign up for a group class is because a private class, I've noticed, often costs close to double what the group class costs-- in shops I've been in.

bracko: Think I disagree. You learn way more taking private music lessons that you do in school band. This is probably true of any endeavor.

mathauck0814: I would think the reason one would sign up for a group class is because a private class, I've noticed, often costs close to double what the group class costs-- in shops I've been in.

So... do you want it cheap or do you want it on your schedule? Next you're going to tell me you want it to be high quality as well. My experience is that you can have any two at the cost of the third. In life, not just diving.

Point being that it exists. Ergo, the dive industry isn't missing it.

Yeah OK, it's there. But fine tuning the group class sign up routine would still be a nice addition (for those who don't have the $600 for private).

Anything missing from the Dive Industry?

Yes. Newly entering, young divers.

My LDS will top off a small pony at no charge and basically no wait.

The built in GPS sounds nice but I have been on dives that did not allow GPS such as Meg Tooth Dives and a couple of ledges that the op had found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom