Is there anything comparable to Go Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking into this the other day and from what I can tell, it doesn't do true 60fps at 720p, if you want that. There is a new SJ5000 that has the much higher framerate (240fps?) so maybe it has true 60fps as well. I believe the lens, some lens adapters, and mounts for GoPro will work with these.

I saw as well that the 60fps at 720p was each frame being shown twice. But I also saw that the SJ5000 is not the next camera in that line and is actually a different manufacturer trying to take advantage of that misleading naming convention.

Hello, I have a Sony RX 100 3 for my land based photos and like it very much( I have not tried the video yet) so may consider that route for underwater stills and video. I have heard that the RX 100 3 is not as good as the 1 or 2 . I do like the one inch sensor and you can crop very well,opposed to optical zoom. The housing for this camera is very expensive. Maybe a good used one may be an option.
If I had an RX100 III I'd stop looking for a GoPro...

Here's one option but your call on whether you want to trust it. 60m 197ft Waterproof Underwater Housing Case Cover for Sony DSC RX100 Mark III 3 | eBay

I like the Nauticam's but they're a lot more money. Fantasea also makes a housing for your camera that's about 1/2 the price. Backscatter.com has both - as well as the Ikelite which costs about the same as the Fantasea.

I saw as well that the 60fps at 720p was each frame being shown twice. But I also saw that the SJ5000 is not the next camera in that line and is actually a different manufacturer trying to take advantage of that misleading naming convention.
I saw that too, but there seems to be some confusion about the SJ5000. I *think* there is now a legit SJ5000 wifi, but senility has already faded what I just learned a couple days ago. I'll look it up again.

ETA: This one has the SJCAM brand, it may be legit. Foxoffer seems to be the trusted name for the authentic SJCAMs, from the little I've read.

What sort of filters do you need (if any) for the gopro Hero HD? I am 99% interested in stills. Thanks (and sorry if this was answered somewhere else).

Try Intova.net. Their several models' buttons allow you to adjust many functions underwater-lacking with the Sonys, and others. The view screen is small-lacking in the underwater case of the Gopro(131'). Intova's underwater case is rated to 197' deeper than 99% of us will go! The HD II is $150.00 You can't go wrong with Intova!

Intova make shockingly poor stuff. Awful build quality and reliability, buggy firmware where half the supposed features don't actually work and their latest action cam attempt is no different also featuring video so badly compressed you get smearing and artefacts all over the place.

Ive not seen a single product yer from the torches, cameras and video that was built for anything more than a 5 year old gift for a small child.

In answer to the original question,,, there is another vendor by the name of Foscam. Go to foscam.com to check it out.

Interesting comments. I took a good hard look and GoPro and Intova when I opened the new showroom. GoPro had the marketing and that's about it. Intova has the same picture quality (the Intova EdgeX uses the same chip is the newest GoPro), easier to manage buttons, better menus, more features and costs less then the GoPro. My customers seem to love them. I have one left in stock from my initial order and only positive comments.

'a lemon!

---------- Post added December 17th, 2014 at 08:42 PM ----------

GoPro underwater video seems to shift toward green,while Intova to the blue?

Back
Top Bottom