Is there anything comparable to Go Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Victor,
Thanks for the mention. In 2014 we sold our torch division flashlight division so we could focus on cameras (no pun intended!!). We have 2 great cameras on the market now with a third to be introduced in February. Some really exciting products are in the development queue so please tuned!!!

---------- Post added December 23rd, 2014 at 01:26 PM ----------

Intova make shockingly poor stuff. Awful build quality and reliability, buggy firmware where half the supposed features don't actually work and their latest action cam attempt is no different also featuring video so badly compressed you get smearing and artefacts all over the place.

Ive not seen a single product yer from the torches, cameras and video that was built for anything more than a 5 year old gift for a small child.

Wow, those are some pretty strong statements and I wonder what prompted them?? I am the President of Intova and passionately proud of our products. To set the record straight, please allow me to point out a few things. 1) No manufacturing process is perfect and every supplier has defects. We stand behind our products 100% and a very little amount of on line research will attest to both the quality of our products and our Customer Service support. My email is joe@intova.net and I would like to hear more from you about the issues you mention because they flat out are not true about our range. 2) We use the same Ambarella processors as the best Action Cams on the market and there are not many secrets about the technology. 3) Our point and Shoot cameras are manufactured by Foxconn, the same company that makes Apple computers and phones as well as for many other major brands like Sony. 4) We have won numerous industry recognitions including the prestigious Innovations Award from the Digital Imaging Manufacturers Association. 5) Our cameras and lights are used by many pros including military, law enforcement, commercial divers and more.

We have gotten many letters of appreciation from these customers thanking us for making such fine products at affordable price points. So, I am very sorry but your statements do not match with the reality of Intova products. I would very much like to hear further from you to determine if you had legitimate issues and how to correct them. It is completely possible that you got a bad product, every manufacturer has some, it is just unusual for us and we work hard to correct these issues. Normally, the only time we see comments like these are when they are generated by a competitor and I hope that is not the case here. Look forward to hearing more details of your problem.

Aloha Victor,
Thanks for the mention. In 2014 we sold our torch division flashlight division so we could focus on cameras (no pun intended!!). We have 2 great cameras on the market now with a third to be introduced in February. Some really exciting products are in the development queue so please tuned!!!

Hey Joe! Thanks for your clarification. I knew the lights were going away or changing or something but I wasn't 100% sure what the deal was. Thanks for the light shedding.

As for quality, I've always been impressed (for the price). No Intova product I've fondled or dived with has been bad at all. They may not have felt quite as high of quality as the top-of-the-line competitors, but the price isn't up there either. The old Intova camera was better than the GoPro in features and in the cave, but still didn't feel quite as "yummy" to play with. It was at a much more attractive price point, though!

Last edited:
Many of the cameras mentioned in this forum seem to be GoPro clones as far as shape is concerned( Hero 3?),and don't allow you to make changes in your photo/video capture at depth( Sony, and others)! Also the new Edge X Is a 1080p/60 and 720p/120 video machine. What more is needed?

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2015 at 05:54 PM ----------

Amazon's comments for Intova are 4-5 stars,I saw one complaint where the buyer said his Hd II flooded on his first dive.I'm sure he wasn't careful to check the o-ring. But you could screw up like that with any underwater cam!

Many of the cameras mentioned in this forum seem to be GoPro clones as far as shape is concerned( Hero 3?),and don't allow you to make changes in your photo/video capture at depth( Sony, and others)!

I am very interested in where you got the information that the other cameras don't allow you to make changes at depth. I would like to read that. I believe that the Intova does allow changes at depth but I will recheck. Sounds like a good "needed" reason to dive again real soon.

I like your reasoning, Tony!

However, GoPros will also let you adjust settings.

I like your reasoning, Tony!

However, GoPros will also let you adjust settings.

Thanks Victor and lets hit Lake Jo and find out. I never said that the GoPro cannot be changed underwater but just challenged the statement that all the others can't be adjusted.

A plus for the GoPro for me is that it simply does better in the darkest of dark places. (Read caves). Sony use to be , and maybe still is, the best in the dark but I know that the Intova is not in the running. That second video I posted in Madison Blue was shot with two BigBlue 1200 video lights, my primary BigBlue 2800 light and Jean-Luc's 10 watt HID.

So with that said, IntovaJoe are you ready to send me one of your new models to test?

Amazon's comments and questions on line for each cam product. My Hd II with the up/down/ok buttons allow changing the menus. The newest Edge x is supposed to have simplified menus.Also the B & H Photo website describes the Sony 197' case as fitting cams up to, I think the 100v, and describes an extra large start/stop/record button.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom