Is there anything comparable to Go Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had gopro and now use jvc adixxion w/ available u/w case. Great cam and more bang for the buck. Gopro died after I dive trip and being a 2, all u/w pics sucked as lens was designed wrong and everything u/w is blurry. 3 model fixed that but advertizing it was waterproof to 160ft was deceiving as you had to shell out $ to buy another case that actually worked. Kids videos on the 3 are comparable and both take great pics.

I use a Tachyon. It's tiny, uses 2 AAA batteries, and a micro SD card (16 gig = 4 hrs video). It does 720p or one HD pic every 2 seconds. Hard to find because the UW model has been discontinued (probably not enough sales). I bought my last one from Amazon. I put a wire attachment on the side of my mask with Marine Goop and this camera sees everything I do on a dive. Makes for a bit of editing but I miss nothing and don't have to think about it. One high concentration tast unloaded.

I bought the Actionpro X7 which looks pretty similar to the GoPro. I compared some videos of these two cams and in my opinion the video quality is also similar. The X7 is available at a bit cheaper price than the GoPro (at least where I'm living). It's a product from Germany, I'm just not sure if it's already beeing sold worldwide.
ACTIONPRO High End Action Cameras ? The new X7

I've just started using the Intova Sport HD with a red filter. I is fine for what I want -- recording memories easily. After many years, I got tired to the whole camera/lights experience. I just wanted something to put in my BC pocket and get fairly decent video. I love the little guy!

Hello, I have a Sony RX 100 3 for my land based photos and like it very much( I have not tried the video yet) so may consider that route for underwater stills and video. I have heard that the RX 100 3 is not as good as the 1 or 2 . I do like the one inch sensor and you can crop very well,opposed to optical zoom. The housing for this camera is very expensive. Maybe a good used one may be an option.

Amazon has just listed the Garmin VIRB for $112.00, including shipping.

I sold GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and bought Sony HDR-AS100V. I catch B&H deal for $268 included 150ft box and door for diving (MUST to have good focus under water). The camera has video stabilization and I much more like Sony auto white balance and colors. I don't use any red filters any more. Also battery life much better. One possible minus of Sony deep box that you can't change from video to photo during the dive, you can change it only before next dive. I don't so need it.

I had gopro and now use jvc adixxion w/ available u/w case. Great cam and more bang for the buck. Gopro died after I dive trip and being a 2, all u/w pics sucked as lens was designed wrong and everything u/w is blurry. 3 model fixed that but advertizing it was waterproof to 160ft was deceiving as you had to shell out $ to buy another case that actually worked. Kids videos on the 3 are comparable and both take great pics.
I looked into the GC-XA2 a bit after a camera shop in Key West recommended it, since it has a slightly narrower 160 FOV. Is it true that you don't have menu access in the U/W case?

Anyone have any experience with the SJ4000?

It seems to be equivalent to the Hero 3+

It also seems there are a great deal of knock-offs of the knock-off so I would search around on how to find real one because the other ones are only using 2 megapixel instead of 12.

Anyone have any experience with the SJ4000?

It seems to be equivalent to the Hero 3+

It also seems there are a great deal of knock-offs of the knock-off so I would search around on how to find real one because the other ones are only using 2 megapixel instead of 12.
I was looking into this the other day and from what I can tell, it doesn't do true 60fps at 720p, if you want that. There is a new SJ5000 that has the much higher framerate (240fps?) so maybe it has true 60fps as well. I believe the lens, some lens adapters, and mounts for GoPro will work with these.

Back
Top Bottom