Is there any truth to this rumor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by scubakat
I Wish I could tell you more Fishkiller. That's why I said THEORY, not fact. I don't want to disparage a product, but think about the puffiness of the Weezle and how it might behave in the confines of your drysuit. Did you buy a drysuit?

-kate

I'm in my reseach phase of getting a drysuit, I don't like that Wahoo one gets in the small of the back with a wetsuit. I remember the story and people blamed the rebreather unit, Until today I didn't know that the two stories are inter related. I'm not wanting to get off track, so would like to know if that is a real possibility of occurance for an undergarment to plug a exhaust port? the report stated he was having problems with bouyancy. To me that suggest something wrong with his BCD which if he was a Drysuit diver would be his Drysuit. Just as Lost Yooper stated his BARE ware has missing peices. Makes me think, am I better off being wet?

Originally posted by Fishkiller

I'm in my reseach phase of getting a drysuit, I don't like that Wahoo one gets in the small of the back with a wetsuit. ...

I'm sorry, I don't understand. What is the "Wahoo" you speak of?

Just as Lost Yooper stated his BARE ware has missing peices. Makes me think, am I better off being wet?

I have the same undergarmet (Bare 200g thinsulate) as LY, I'm glad to know what the grommet holes are for now :) thanks!

It just depends on the diving that you are doing and your tolerence for coldness & inconvenience. My tolerence is low. I dive dry. With the propper training you will be fine. Weird accidents happen in wetsuits too.

-kate

that I speak of

those who dive wearing a wetsuit can relate you're all warm and such then you do a giant stride into the water. As you give the OK to the boat the density of the water finds it's way through the zipper located on the back of your suit. The water being 20 or so degrees cooler than your body temprature you go WAHOO.

speaking of accidents I trust you're not talking about WARHAMMER types?

Only reference I've ever seen while researching accidents is in the 1996 BSAC Incidents Report (under "Fast Ascents"):

"Two divers ascending from a no-stop dive to 35m intended to conduct a safety stop of 3min at 6m. However, one was unable to release air from his drysuit wrist dump and ascended buoyantly to the surface. His buddy went with him. The thermal undersuit is thought to have become rucked up and so prevented effective dumping of air."

http://saudidiving.com/bsac-accidents.htm

BSAC incident report:

October 2000 01/029
Two divers completed a dive to 32m and deployed a delayed SMB to make their ascent. During the ascent one of the pair felt light and struggled to control her buoyancy. At 10m she lost control and made a rapid ascent to the surface missing 7 min of decompression stops. Her buddy completed his stops. The buoyant diver was recovered into the boat and placed on oxygen. She developed a tingling in her hands. The Coastguard was alerted and the diver was airlifted to a recompression facility for treatment. It was later found that the undersuit, which had a smooth finish, had blocked the drysuit dump valve thus preventing the expanding air from escaping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom