Is there any reason to do a Nitrox 'course'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually... I would swap the question around. For diving in the 0-30m range... I would pose the question: Is there any good reason NOT to dive nitrox?
If you follow air tables, you have extra buffer.
If you follow nitrox tables you can maximize bottomtime.

Nitrox is a picture perfect example of the dive industry at its very worst.

In the early 90s when nitrox was first threatening to go mainstream, all the dive agencies collaborated to block it, fearing that it would eat into the margins of dive operators. On extremely tenuous grounds they alleged that it was unsafe. It wasn't until NAUI broke ranks in 1994 and offered nitrox courses that everyone else caved in and jumped on the bandwagon.

The dive industry then of course shamelessly reversed direction, and starts plugging nitrox as a way to pad margins. They
improbably continue to insist that it is dangerous to use without training, and will charge a healthy fee to explain the sort of maths that an intelligent 12 year could grasp fairly quickly. In a world where so many divers dive overweighted, ascend too fast, have poor bouyancy control, don't properly understand tables and a myriad of other common risks, they fixate on the remote possibility of oxygen toxicity by going too deep for too long as a reason not to allow any old person to stick EAN32 in their tank. For similarly unlikely reasons they prohibit those under the age of 15 from using nitrox (hey, it's ok for kids to load up their developing bones and organs with nitrogen, but God forbid they risk oxygen toxicity by staying at 60 feet for, oh, about 5 hours).

So what we are left with is a system which seeks to restrict access to a safety product by falsely misrepresenting that it is more dangerous than it is to try and enable a dollar to be made training people how to use this complex voodoo gas.

I honestly, honestly believe that if people had just labelled it "safety air" back in 1992 and said "anyone can use this, just so long as you don't go below 130 feet - and if you don't own a computer then use this revised set of dive tables" we would all have been fine and the diving community would have been both safer and better off.

In my opinion. YMMV.

For diving in the 0-30m range... Is there any good reason NOT to dive nitrox?

No serious reasons against EANx: for the 0-20m range, there is simply no need for it, you'll be OOA before hitting NDL. For repetitive dives in the 20+m range I see the point.

Why not: hassle (have to order nitrox and check O2 concentration, need to pay some extra $). Of course if I can add one more dive a day, I definitely go for nitrox.

Rhone Man: this is how the dive industry works. They need to "Put Another Dollar In" to remain solvent. Why trimix and deco are privileged for the Tec community and not taught at even DM level? Simple dive-shop logistics and financial reasons. Of course, it profits better if you sell every bit of knowledge separately and issue separate cards at each level. More than that, it would be a serious investment for a dive shop to rent doubles & offer trimix as a routine.

There is some variation between agencies, the BSAC and CMAS at least teaches deco for advanced rec divers... (cmas***, BSAC sports diver)

Last edited:
No serious reasons against EANx: for the 0-20m range, there is simply no need for it, you'll be OOA before hitting NDL. For repetitive dives in the 20+m range I see the point.

someone with a low sac rate and/or a twinset could.

Why not: hassle (have to order nitrox and check O2 concentration, need to pay some extra $). Of course if I can add one more dive a day, I definitely go for nitrox.

Rhone Man: this is how the dive industry works. They need to "Put Another Dollar In" to remain solvent. Why trimix and deco are privileged for the Tec community and not taught at AOWD level? Simple dive-shop logistics and financial reasons. Of course, it profits better if you sell every bit of knowledge separately and issue separate cards at each level.

Luckily, I have a diveshop that believes in Nitrox, and will sell you a nitroxcard for a mere $20 more per year, than they sell aircards for...
And... personally, I had more issues with NDLs than amount of gas... even when I was diving Single 10L...
After I swapped to doubles, the reason to surface tends to be either that I need to go to work, restroom... or NDLs...

I hope I'll get my SAC rate to this territory soon (1+hour at ~20m)... Anyway, 20$ extra is nothing - just as the ~100$ cert. Even if there wasn't any NDL benefit, I'd invest that in the additional safety.

Luckily, I have a diveshop that believes in Nitrox, and will sell you a nitroxcard for a mere $20 more per year, than they sell aircards for...
And... personally, I had more issues with NDLs than amount of gas... even when I was diving Single 10L...
After I swapped to doubles, the reason to surface tends to be either that I need to go to work, restroom... or NDLs...

It depends ... if you're diving a relatively square profile at 20m, you can run yourself into deco fairly easily on a single cylinder of air ... assuming you've got a reasonable consumption rate and you're diving something larger than those oversize beer cans that most dive ops use for cylinders. When I'm out on a fun dive, and not using my sidemount tanks, I like to use HP130's ... that can keep me at an average depth of 20m for about 80-90 minutes before I reach my reserve gas limits.

Again, it depends ... where I live, nitrox is as easy to get as air. Sure, it's a bit more expensive ... but typical profiles here make it easy to do dives that average between 20-30m. If you want to get a reasonably long dive then the added expense is worth it.

Rhone Man: this is how the dive industry works. They need to "Put Another Dollar In" to remain solvent.
It might surprise you to learn that PADI doesn't, in fact, make every decision there is to make in diving. In fact, of the two dozen or so C-cards I've collected, not a single one is PADI. They have absolutely no influence over my diving choices.

Why trimix and deco are privileged for the Tec community and not taught at even DM level? Simple dive-shop logistics and financial reasons. Of course, it profits better if you sell every bit of knowledge separately and issue separate cards at each level. More than that, it would be a serious investment for a dive shop to rent doubles & offer trimix as a routine.
There are very good reasons why making trimix available to typical recreational divers is a bad idea ... the most obvious being cost. If you're complaining about a $10 nitrox fill, imagine how you're gonna feel when you go get a 21/35 fill in a set of doubles and the bill comes to $80-$100. A more practical reason, however, is that helium ongasses and offgasses MUCH faster than nitrogen ... and people with questionable buoyancy control can bend themselves fairly easily breathing helium. It's "privileged for the Tec community" because it's generally assumed that by the time you get to that level you'll have solid buoyancy skills, and be able to hold the stops where and when the profile calls for it ... because you HAVE to. Blowing a safety stop on a recreational dive might increase the risk of DCS, but it generally doesn't result in a hit. Blowing a deco stop on trimix usually will. No dive shop in their right mind is going to risk that kind of liability on the assumption that a typical recreational diver will have either the chops or the self-discipline to manage mandatory stops.

From a practical perspective, once you start diving doubles and trimix, the cost of training is only the down-payment. A decent doubles rig ... with tanks, bands, and regulators ... will run you $1200 or more. Add in a deco bottle or two and a couple more regs and the cost of the trimix class starts looking rather insignificant compared to what it takes to dive that way.

There is some variation between agencies, the BSAC and CMAS at least teaches deco for advanced rec divers... (cmas***, BSAC sports diver)

I'll betchya they don't teach trimix, though. There's nothing magical about exceeding NDL ... as long as you have the gas and the discipline to honor your deco obligation.

Trimix is a whole 'nother issue ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hope I'll get my SAC rate to this territory soon (1+hour at ~20m)... Anyway, 20$ extra is nothing - just as the ~100$ cert. Even if there wasn't any NDL benefit, I'd invest that in the additional safety.

FWIW, I've read that very long dives at that depth range can be the most risky from a DCS perspective. This is assuming you meant maxing out the NDL at that depth on a square profile. If you really mean a multilevel dive starting at 20m that's of less concern.

You are correct that there's not a lot of info passed along in a Nitrox course. That said, I'm still glad people have to take it. If anything, it shows that you're serious about your diving and serious about your wanting to improve as a diver. It filters out the yahoos who get their training by having a one minute conversation with their "more experienced" buddies.

I learned a ton in my IANTD Nitrox class. Just sayin'... :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom