Is there any reason to do a Nitrox 'course'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Sumners

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been reading about using Nitrox - eg dir-diver.com, GUE and PADI materials - and am struggling to see why I would need to take a 'course' (the minimal content seems to hardly warrant the name) when it seems to be simply a matter of a) doing some reading, b) using different tables/calculations and c) knowing how to use a gas analyser, none of which are particularly onerous.

Is it perhaps the case that it's difficult to get Nitrox fills from dive centres without a certification card from one or other agency? If not, are there other reasons to take a course?

Many thanks in advance.

I haven't heard of any agency making a difference. I would think the NAUI "recognition" thing would be OK for fills as well, but am not positive. You'd need that or a card regardless to get fills.

You are correct that there's not a lot of info passed along in a Nitrox course. That said, I'm still glad people have to take it. If anything, it shows that you're serious about your diving and serious about your wanting to improve as a diver. It filters out the yahoos who get their training by having a one minute conversation with their "more experienced" buddies.

Yes, you will find it very difficult to get Nitrox fills without an official card from some agency. Like it or not, a card serves as proof that you (hopefully) have covered and grasp the basics. Without it an op doesn't know that you have. (Given the number of people that assume before the class that Nitrox is meant for doing deeper dives, you can hardly blame them.)

Anything can be self taught but there is a little more to diving nitrox that is covered when you take a class. Atleast I cover it in my classes. One of major concerns with nitrox is O2Tox and how to manage your exposure which I didnt see on your list. Either way unless you plan on blending your own gas no shop will give you nitrox without a nitrox cert. Good luck.

Yes, the information conveyed in a nitrox class is simple. In fact i think it can almost be summed up: Analyze your fills and know the MOD.

This is probably why my nitrox class lasted 1:45, including the test.

You will not get fills without the card. Even if you got fills, most boats i've been on wont let you dive tanks with nitrox stickers without presenting a card.

Hope this helps...

Changing the subject slightly....

Do you even need nitrox? Do you find yourself doing dives where you have plenty of gas left but you are out of NDL?

I'm EANx certified and have dove it plenty over the years but for my local diving in Lake Travis I don't have much reason to spend the extra money on fills. ( $12 vs $4 )

Yes, I forgot to mention O2 toxicity, been reading about that too!

---------- Post added June 10th, 2013 at 07:07 PM ----------

Re needing Nitrox, following the reading I've been doing I must say I can't see why - other than the additional cost of fills - I'd ever dive with air! It seems to be much safer with regards to on-gassing...

Changing the subject slightly....

Do you even need nitrox? Do you find yourself doing dives where you have plenty of gas left but you are out of NDL?

I'm EANx certified and have dove it plenty over the years but for my local diving in Lake Travis I don't have much reason to spend the extra money on fills. ( $12 vs $4 )

I know what you mean...But..

I like nitrox as an extra level of conservatism. It never hurts to take on less nitrogen. In case a stop has to be blown off... I know a couple of divers who dive nitrox on air NDL's for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom