Is there any diving near Jakarta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FairyBasset

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I will be on a business trip to Asia in June and will end up from a Fri - Mon in Jakarta.
Would love to get out of town on Sat-Sun and do some diving.
I heard about somewhere called 1000 Islands which is supposed to be nice and not too far.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for places to go, stay and dive?
Can anyone tell me how far it would be, how to get there and any idea of costs?

Much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

speedboat it will take around 1.5 to 2 hours to 1000 Island.

I'll give you a contact number, it is a dive center that can hook you up with diving at 1000 Islands.
Ody Dive 392 1226
I took my OW from them. Tell them it's from Henry.

There's lot of DC arrange weekend dive trip to thousand island - the outers island is far better, certainly take more time.
Other alternative are Sanghyang and tempurung - 1.5 hour drive to anyer then less than 1 hour boat; curent in tempurung can be strong, or krakatau, chance to see shark and sea snake - you'll need bigger and better boat to reach krakatau.
or LOB Dive Trips Coming Up - Kristal Klear Dive Shop in Jakarta, Indonesia

Hi!
Thanks for your help - your replies are much nicer than the ones I got on Tripadvisor!

I now know I will probably have to book a package at an agent, which will include transfers, accommodation and diving for 2 days + 1 night.

Could you tell me exactly which islands I should look at for diving, so I can book the right package. I thought maybe Pantara. How long would it take for me to get to Pantara from Jakarta? Is there only one DC on each island?

I read on Tripadvisor that the accommodation is over-priced and not nice and also that the diving was not good. Is that really true?

Thanks for your help!

FB,
indeed accommodation is thousand islands is not cheap but still full on weekend. Most people going there not for diving.
The most popular dive site are pulau (island) pramuka, pantara, sepa, bidadari - not the best parts of 1000 island. Pulau Kotok and papa teo is better.
Yes, thousand islands are not the best diving destination in Indonesia - not bad, still comparable with many dive sites in this regions.
Note - i dove 1000 thousand island more than 5 years ago, so does not really reflect the latest condition. I may visit again in July.
I suggest you contact local diving community forumselam.com ~ Index
mostly in bahasa, but they will response in english too. many of them are rgular visitor of 1000 island. You'll find there some people arrange dive trip at very reasonable cost.

I do my checkout dives in the 1000 islands, so I dive there fairly often. Honestly, the diving is very average. The place is fished out, but you might see a turtle or two. Kotok is set up to take care of divers as they have a compressor and a huge diving deck right at the edge of the reef. The staff is friendly and the cabins are fine by 1000 Island standards.

Another option to contact Kristal Klear Divers and see what trips they are running that weekend. They will have something going to 1000 Islands and maybe the weekend liveaboard to Sundra Straits/Krakatoa. That is a great trip, especially if the volcano is active. Again, the area is fished out and the vis not so great, but it is beautiful above water and a part of the world everyone should see. Krtistal Klear are good people and will take care of all details.

Kristal Klear Dive Shop in Jakarta, Indonesia

On the bright side, the 1000 Islands are beautiful and a great weekend escape from Jakarta. I love heading out there with friends to just chill, drink some rum, read, swim, and generally do nothing. When I go with friends I don't bother diving. We stay at "Tiger Island" AKA Pulau Macan. To me it is paradise, but realize there is no hot water or air conditioning. The food is amazing, and the vibe on the island makes it one of my favorite places in Indonesia to just be a bum. They can arrange diving there if you let them know in advance.

Pulau Macan || Tiger Islands Village & Eco Resort

Hope this helps.

I'd say to try krakatau too. You should be able to google cheap accomodation and a decent shop. I loved the endless pristine soft coral out there and I saw my first mantis shrimp there (second, third and fourth too)

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful.
I have a good idea what it is like there now.
And as they say... a bad day diving is still better than a good day working... so as long as the place is chilled, fun, and has a good air compressor I dont really care!
Would love to do the Krakatoa thing, but my colleague doesnt dive and so he can chill while I am underwater!

Hi FB,
I saw your post from several yrs ago when I was searching for info similar to what you posted. I'm a single diver who will be in Jakarta for a work trip and will be there over a weekend. Have limited time, but am wondering if it's feasible to try to get a day of diving in. I would arrive Saturday afternoon and have Sunday to dive if I can manage to safely get somewhere it would be worth going. Based on your experience trying to do something similar, do you have any recommendations? This would be in mid-March.
Thanks!
AF

Hi all,

I will be on a business trip to Asia in June and will end up from a Fri - Mon in Jakarta.
Would love to get out of town on Sat-Sun and do some diving.
I heard about somewhere called 1000 Islands which is supposed to be nice and not too far.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for places to go, stay and dive?
Can anyone tell me how far it would be, how to get there and any idea of costs?

Much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Without arranging some sort of custom-megaexpensive day trip to the 1000 Islands, I would say it is not feasible. Weekend trips leave early Saturday morning and return later afternoon on Sunday. I'm sure with enough money you could arrange a speedboat and guide to run you out there, dive twice, and run you back in, but it honestly ain't worth it.

Chill at your hotel, get a massage, go to the pool, and wonder around Jakarta a while. It is a fascinating city.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom