Is there an instructor crisis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever.
In the end it really doesn’t matter.
It doesn't. Some evaluation has to be subjective, as not everything can be measured. How do you measure comfortable or fluid? Where people set the line of not comfortable/fluid to comfortable/fluid varies dramatically. Hence introducing measurable criteria of trim (X degrees or less from trim) and no changes in depth beyond a specified range, and possibly within a specified time limit.

Can anyone think of any other way to set objectivity to performance requirements?

I see people expecting a "living wage" on jobs I did as a kid (cutting lawns, dog sitting, delivering newspapers). I've known people having 2-3 jobs at the same time to make ends meet. My own family farmed by the day, and did graveyard factory work. Nobody needed a therapist because they felt overworked. There was no "participation trophy". No year off to find yourself... No freebies...

My good friend (and SB member here) who is an instructor in Canada pulled the plug last year on teaching. Got too expensive, insurance being the major reason. Hearing it everywhere in the US and Canada...
Did you try telling your friend to just pick up some graveyard factory work to make ends meet instead?

No you didn't, because you're not supposed to have to work several jobs to make ends meet.

I'm not going to elaborate more on that because it will get removed and I may or may not get banned for it, but I am going to head to the bathroom and relieve the body part of mine that reminds me of you the most.

@wetb4igetinthewater heavenly and the other tahoe area resorts from 10 years ago, should hit nearly 7.5 million visits or so this year.
Source?

I gave you data from the National Ski Areas Association. Are you telling me I should take your word over their published data?!?!?

Ski California, visits dropped from nearly 8 million in 2008 to under 5 million in 2013, 10 year average since then has been roughly 5.5 million

Ski California, visits dropped from nearly 8 million in 2008 to under 5 million in 2013, 10 year average since then has been roughly 5.5 million

So where is the link to the data over 20 years?

It is on that page, under the skier visits history tab. or on the infographic pdf summary.
So did you notice this data? The California ski industry still hasn't reached that level yet. Why do you think this pass idea has had a noticeable impact? I'm trying to understand your interpretation of the data.

2009-107,980,974

pass adoption rates weren't nearly as high back in 2009 as the pass was a fairly new program and they didn't add kirkwood/northstar until 2011 or 2012 iirc. even through the drought the past couple years, the pass still kept traffic up as it was basically free if you were buying it to use for a yearly vacation in CO anyways.

pass adoption rates weren't nearly as high back in 2009 as the pass was a fairly new program and they didn't add kirkwood/northstar until 2011 or 2012 iirc. even through the drought the past couple years, the pass still kept traffic up as it was basically free if you were buying it to use for a yearly vacation in CO anyways.
Okay, but even with this program, the numbers today are still below than that of 2009/2010. Where is the data proving that this program actually works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom