Is there an instructor crisis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that if local dive shops hogging lucrative profits were the main issue, we'd see a lot more independent instructors. My first dive instructor was (and I suspect still is) an independent PADI instructor.

Of course, the independent route doesn't sound like a bed of roses, either. You've got to promote/advertise yourself to get customers, and may not have dive shop referrals. No one wanders into your non-existent dive shop to look at gear and ask questions.

But if instructing were generating big profits and 3rd parties were robbing the instructors, seems like we'd see more independents. Yes, the certification agencies would still get a cut.

Wonder what % of recreational dive instructors in the U.S. are independent vs. shop-affiliated?
It depends on the agency. Or used to. Some agencies traditionally were geared towards independent instructors. The Y for example and it's successor SEI. In the beginning anyway. Then after a few years the old management started pushing shops and shop support. A by-product I guess of being on the DEMA board and those old men who looked at independents as red-headed step kids in an all blonde family.
Many independent instructors I know in the US were like me. Not interested in turning out large numbers and getting crappy meaningless badges, when it came to quality of the those numbers, saying they did so.
All we wanted to do was turn out safe, skilled, educated, and competent divers who could dive without further training. If they wanted to. They had enough knowledge and foundational skills to improve and extend their range over time on their own.
They did not need to have a DM or guide to dive in a new location.
That takes time in the pool, classroom, and open water.
Being an independent at first was tough. Few shops want to offer their pool, rental gear, cylinders, etc and not get a large cut of the class fees. I was lucky to find one who did. All he wanted was the chance to sell my students their gear. And that was fine with me. Even after I became a HOG/Edge dealer. Most of my sales and service were on line so it was no skin off my nose.
He let me use his pool, compressor, classroom, and tanks. My students rented their checkout gear from him which meant I did not need extra insurance to cover that. His did.
And after he sold the shop the new owner did the same.
Very few will do that. They see the independent as competition or even a threat.
But their comes a time when due to all the rising costs, getting older, and interest in other things made teaching less attractive. And when I began to dread thinking about teaching another class after my accident on the bicycle and the ridiculous cost of insurance due to sh!tty instruction that was killing people, it was time to hang it up.

You know, when people walk in to a dive shop for the first time and want to sign up for dive lessons and see the price sheet, all they see is the bottom line of what it’s going to cost them to get a card to be able to go diving. How are they supposed to know how that price is broken up?
To think that people getting OW certified are thinking their instructor is a money grubbing POS because the price is $600 let’s say is a little misguided.
They don’t know who’s getting what cut, they just think it seems a little pricey. Maybe a little more education to the general public on why the price is what it is would be better that bagging on the general public and scubaboard for your pent up attitude about everyone thinking they are POS price gouging instructors.
I don’t think people think that at all.
So, this is about instructor crisis The LDS charges $600 per class. Who gets the money, who gets paid?

Although I am certified with several training agencies for over 25 years now, NAUI instructor for 37 years, I choose to certify my students through NAUI because for several reasons. One of them is that the NAUI material, including eLearning, are the best value in town and of higher quality. The cost for eLearning and the Textbook in PDF and eC-card is most competitive compared with all other agencies. I can get the hard copy of the book and the plastic card for my students if I wanted to and it still cost less than other agencies. NAUI treats independent instructors and dive centers the same as affiliates and gives them discounts based on volume and commitment. I get a substantial discount as an independent instructor when I sign up as a "Professional Educator" which is independent instructor affiliate. The fee for this rating pays for itself with the first 8 students kits I buy from NAUI. NAUI sanctioned my special version of the "OW" certification since my "OW" course exceeds the standards of the typical "OW" course. I am seeking to get my version of the "Advanced" course to get a special card, the "Platinum Advanced Diver" c-card too. NAUI doesn't sanction "Solo" diving or "Deco diving" for recreational diving and thus I may certify students through other agencies for these specialties since NAUI doesn't approve of these specialties so far. I can't find a better value or better material or standards with any other agency.

Good conversation and valid points on all sides of the issue... I wanted to add...that when I was teaching the $99 OW courses twenty years ago, the shop policy was that the instructor received the entire agreed fee only if the student was certified. Otherwise it was half the fee....but still all of the work! This policy is what finally ended my teaching relationship with the shop.

The issue for me was that PADI Standards were the "minimum" requirement for certification and my personal standards were more geared towards "mastery" of skills rather than simply "getting through them". And I admit that my personal evaluation / definition of the term "mastery" may have subjectively been at a higher level than some others. Because of this I had a higher "failure" rate then some of the other instructors. This even sometimes meant even "more" work for me because many times it simply was a matter of another OW dive or two to get the student up to my standards and comfort level to issue a cert. My responsibility = My call.

I also think it's a safe bet to say that most shops "preferred" certified divers as that typically equates to more gear sales, con-ed, etc.

And not to start a new argument, but I also think that before crossing over to the PADI path..... that my NAUI background probably influenced my personal definition and opinion of the term "mastery".

Bottom line for me is that I wouldn't trade all of the thankless and unpaid hours for the world because of the lifelong relationships and experiences that have resulted from teaching.

NAUI doesn't sanction "Solo" diving
I believe the official position of NAUI is still: every OW diver should be capable of finishing a dive solo…thus there is no need for a solo course.

Unless things have changed?

shop policy was that the instructor received the entire agreed fee only if the student was certified. Otherwise it was half the fee....but still all of the work! This policy is what finally ended my teaching relationship with the shop
Same here. I quit that job…I don’t work for free when you(the shop) still get paid.

I believe the official position of NAUI is still: every OW diver should be capable of finishing a dive solo…thus there is no need for a solo course.

Unless things have changed?

No, NAUI doesn't santion "solo" diving. What you said is something I have NEVER heard or read anywhere. It is always "buddy diving" for NAUI. If you are talking "self sufficient" diver, that maybe true but it is different from diving solo.

No, NAUI doesn't santion "solo" diving. What you said is something I have NEVER heard or read anywhere. It is always "buddy diving" for NAUI. If you are talking "self sufficient" diver, that maybe true but it is different from diving solo.
This was an article in the newsletter years ago, where Jim Bram answered the question about solo certifications…it was his answer.

This was an article in the newsletter years ago, where Jim Bram answered the question about solo certifications…it was his answer.
That isn't NAUI's policy or something approved by NAUI. You can check with HQ, and I have checked with HQ not too long ago, solo diving isn't sanctioned by NAUI. No solo diving in NAUI recreational courses. The reference is always NAUI's S&P manual, no solo diving there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom