Is there a wrist Nitrox computer that doesn’t automatically reset to air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trick with Suuntos (or with my D9, at least) is to set MIX2, even though you are only using one gas. If there is a setting for MIX2, MIX1 will stay at whatever you set it to. If there is no setting for MIX2, MIX1 will revert back to 21%.

Suunto computers are like this- you set them to Nitrox, and it will keep the percentage for repetitive dives. However, after a few hours the fo2% automatically reverts to 21%, so one still needs to scroll menus to change it

That's why a lot of people leave their Suunto's permanently in nitrox mode at 21% for air diving

50%, really?

Certainly most of the Aeris ones do and a few other I have come across do as well. I presume it's too keep you shallow on your second dive when it's unsure of your mix because then the alarms start to trigger when you hit around 60ft. If it defaulted to air and you were on nitrox 36 you'd go we'll past the MOD before it triggered an alarm.

.....You can imagine the frustration of having to reenter, reset, scroll thru menus, etc for EACH dive. Fortunately for my primary Oceanic Pro computer, I can disable the auto-switch-to-air “feature”. ......

.....My primary Oceanic Pro console does all this – is there an equivalent wrist version? Multiple recommendations welcome. ....
Hi Dale,
since you are already an Oceanic customer I would suggest any of their non AI wrist computers such as the GEO 2.
All of their computers have a feature where the gas mix could be set to reset to 21% O2 for Nitrogen calculations and 50% O2 for Oxygen toxicity calculations. Such feature could be permanently disabled (and you need to do it only once).
This is explained in the Geo 2 manual and in the Geo 2 online class

..... That’s why today before I buy anything, I download the user manual and thoroughly study it before considering purchase. ....
You might consider to also watch our video tutorials at Dive Computer Training

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Yeah, if you want to read a brutally terrible manual, crack open the Luna's...and the screen looks like a Texas Instruments graphing calculator. Good thing it's cheap...er, wait, it's $700+ and has the AI that the OP asked not to have.

which is why i said computer only! yes that is an option, the manual sucks i will give you that but all the info you need is in it, and it doesnt take a dr to figure it out, but thanks for letting us all know you still hate scubapro products.

All suunto's... Etc... Etc...
Suunto actually locks you in Nitrox mode, keeps the same FO2 for all subsequent dives and meets the reqs. I'm not sure it's what I'd go for but here you go...

My mother always said I was special, maybe she was right . . . My Vyper Air allows me to change the FO2 between dives and keeps whatever setting it is on until changed. Last weekend, my first dive was on air, the second on EAN32. No problemo.

IIRC my Mosquito worked the same way (you can't go from air to Nitrox until the no-fly interval is over, but you can change FO2 any time you wish and it is 'sticky').

In all fairness, some dive computer manuals could drive somebody to drink. My Oceanic VT3 is a nice computer, but the manual!!! Just the thought of having to turn to the manual and figure out how to get a setting change makes me love my Cobalt!

Richard.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, I am quite sure the Atomic Cobalt does not reset back to air after each dive. You have to manually reset to air.

---------- Post added July 27th, 2013 at 09:16 PM ----------

50%, really?
Not that 50% is something you couldn't dive but we all know the limitations do I guess for practical purposes it really isn't something to dive with as a back gas. There are also dive computers that if you don't reset the mix it will give you an error by setting it to something quirky that will in effect make you change the setting or you are unable to dive. Almost like a lock out. I can't remember the type of computer though. I haven't had much experience with anything except the Cobalt.

My mother always said I was special, maybe she was right . . . My Vyper Air allows me to change the FO2 between dives and keeps whatever setting it is on until changed. Last weekend, my first dive was on air, the second on EAN32. No problemo.

IIRC my Mosquito worked the same way (you can't go from air to Nitrox until the no-fly interval is over, but you can change FO2 any time you wish and it is 'sticky').

Glad you agree John. Say hi to your mother for me :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom