Is there a wrist Nitrox computer that doesn’t automatically reset to air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings

With 45+ years of diving behind me and former NAUI instructor on Guam (early 70s), I do world class underwater videography. I’ve been thru one computer after the other to discover real “surprises”. That’s why today before I buy anything, I download the user manual and thoroughly study it before considering purchase.

I travel around the world, doing liveabord diving 10-14 days with 4-5 dives a day. You can imagine the frustration of having to reenter, reset, scroll thru menus, etc for EACH dive. Fortunately for my primary Oceanic Pro computer, I can disable the auto-switch-to-air “feature”.

Please; I don’t need any lectures why most automatically reset to air. When I read the so-called “safety” warnings of a chainsaw I just bought that says “don’t use this in your bathtub” … is it any wonder why we have so much legal crap in our faces (somebody got rich quick). I love it: "this product contains material that is known to cause cancer in the state of California" (if you drink 50 gallons of it). I guess you to NOT get cancer in other states -- maybe the UFO energy is high in California? Anyway.....the legal reasons are obvious.

I’m looking for a secondary BACKUP nitrox wrist-mounted computer with the following requirements.
(1) no air integration.
(2) user replicable batteries that don’t have to be ordered from outer Slabovia.
(3) fairly intuitive scrolling with MULTIPLE buttons.
(4) most important: once the FO2 is set: it remains permanently until forcibly changed.
(5) when doing a repetitive dive (say 2 hours later) – I don’t have to scroll thru menus to get to the nitrox screen - I just jump in and go diving.

My primary Oceanic Pro console does all this – is there an equivalent wrist version? Multiple recommendations welcome. Thanks for your time & thoughts.
Dale

Scubapro/SubGear/UWATEC XP-10 meets all your criteria!

Shearwater Petrel: simplest, most intuitive UI outside of the Atomic Cobalt, and eats any AA battery you care to throw in it. You set as many as 5 mixes and as few as 1, air, nitrox, helium, whatever you want. Set it to one and it will stay there until you switch or redefine the mix. Plus Shearwater has some of the most direct and flexible customer service you'll find.

Read the manual, I think you'll like it. Note that if you're not running the various rebreather options, you keep it set for OC mode only, which makes it an extremely simplistic computer.

uwatec/scubapro galileo luna computer only will do it but kind of expensive but does have a nice display good compass and the battery life is good and user replaceable

Yeah, if you want to read a brutally terrible manual, crack open the Luna's...and the screen looks like a Texas Instruments graphing calculator. Good thing it's cheap...er, wait, it's $700+ and has the AI that the OP asked not to have.

Shearwater Petrel: simplest, most intuitive UI outside of the Atomic Cobalt, and eats any AA battery you care to throw in it. You set as many as 5 mixes and as few as 1, air, nitrox, helium, whatever you want. Set it to one and it will stay there until you switch or redefine the mix. Plus Shearwater has some of the most direct and flexible customer service you'll find.

Read the manual, I think you'll like it. Note that if you're not running the various rebreather options, you keep it set for OC mode only, which makes it an extremely simplistic computer.

I've got one that I got for CCR...Starting to use it for all my diving.........Best thing since sliced bread !!!!! ;-].....

Eh I'm confused by the op's requirements. It seems to me that all basic dive computers that are not produced mainly for the mass US recreational market meet the requirements. It certainly is the case with all Suunto's, Uwatec's, Shearwater's et al.

Eh I'm confused by the op's requirements. It seems to me that all basic dive computers that are not produced mainly for the mass US recreational market meet the requirements. It certainly is the case with all Suunto's, Uwatec's, Shearwater's et al.

Many of the computers on the market will default to 50% nitrox mix on your 2nd dive if you don't re-enter the FO2 in again. It seems the OP is annoyed by that which is fair enough I think and he is looking for a computer that won't be as much hassle, one he can set and not constantly have to mess with.

Mares puck does all that except it has just one button. But since it is a backup computer, you can get it for ~$175. Not sure why you have a multi button requirement.

"Mares from LeisurePro.com puck&Hit=1"

Edited... Not sure how they can have a space in that url, but at the end of it, it is: Term=mares puck&Hit=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom