Is There a Paddle/Blade Fin for Diver with Bad Knee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what I found swimming the diagonal of my 15x32 pool:

1. TUSA Xpert Zooms - 5-6 frog kicks
2. Force Fins - 8-10 frog kicks (but with less water resistance)

The frog kicks were "leisurely", that is, I was going for distance/kick rather than speed/kick.

3. Force Fins -As was recommended, I can flutter/scissor kick at surface while laying on my side, but it's slower than either face-down or face-up straight-leg flutters with the TUSAs.

4. Force Fins - face down flutter kick - I can stay stuck in neutral for about as long as I want; no forward movement.

I used US Diver blades for many years and like having a firm blade fin. After having both of my knees scoped I thought I'd give them a break when diving. I got a great deal on a pair of Bio Fins which I didn't really think I'd like but they worked just fine for me. Adapting to them was not much of a problem and they were easier on my knees. Since then I've switch to Aqualung Rocket II's. They are a flexible and I've adapted to them on the first dive. I actually forgot that I'd switched to a different fin until the dive was almost over. The rockets have one plus over the Bio's as they don't seem to silt up the area as much. A real plus for others I dive with if we're in a wreck.

Fins aren't cheap anymore so I'd try as many variations as I could. What works for one person with bad knees might not work for another.

Good Luck

Craig

I used US Diver blades for many years and like having a firm blade fin. After having both of my knees scoped I thought I'd give them a break when diving. I got a great deal on a pair of Bio Fins which I didn't really think I'd like but they worked just fine for me. Adapting to them was not much of a problem and they were easier on my knees. Since then I've switch to Aqualung Rocket II's. They are a flexible and I've adapted to them on the first dive. I actually forgot that I'd switched to a different fin until the dive was almost over. The rockets have one plus over the Bio's as they don't seem to silt up the area as much. A real plus for others I dive with if we're in a wreck.

Fins aren't cheap anymore so I'd try as many variations as I could. What works for one person with bad knees might not work for another.

Good Luck

Craig

I find that our buddies diving paddles silt things up more than the ones diving splits but it may be more skill and consideration than anything. I regularly check back on myself to make sure I am not silting!

The AquaLung Slingshot may work well for you. It has a mid-fin flex that assist you with your kicks. The other thing is, it has adjustable tension, so you can set the fin on the leg recovering from surgery at a different tension than the other leg.

I have used them and they are gentle on the legs, like splits, but still give some real power and work well with all the kicks you mentioned.

Here is the link: Slingshot

Jeff

I can tell you for sure, if the Original Force Fin is too stiff for your bad knee then the AL Slingshots might as well be planks. Those stupid bands that they use are just a cheap method of creating the same effect that the Force Fins do but they do it very poorly so they make them fairly stiff to make them "feel" similar although they fall flat.

So sorry to hear of your knee problems. I too am "blessed" with rotten knees.
I use the ForceFin Pros after trying fins that just killed me. I would get a knocking in my knees from Jets as the joint slammed back together with each stroke. So I am definitely in love with the effect of the FFins and the easing of the pain.

Here's what I found swimming the diagonal of my 15x32 pool:

1. TUSA Xpert Zooms - 5-6 frog kicks
2. Force Fins - 8-10 frog kicks (but with less water resistance)
With originals you sacrifice propulsion for a softer (more comfortable) blade. That is the reason I use the Pros.

3. Force Fins -As was recommended, I can flutter/scissor kick at surface while laying on my side, but it's slower than either face-down or face-up straight-leg flutters with the TUSAs.
Again, I would say you'll get this from the Originals more than the Pros. Secondly, you trim is SO, SO important. I do not use any ankle weights, but I trim myself to maintain a horizontal position in the water. Once that was achieved, may FFins worked bee-you-tee-ful. But before that - what a nightmare!

Another thing that I love about the fins is the ability to get propulsion with a comfortably bent knee simply by moving my ankles up and down with quick little strokes. When I am in a wreck, it is like wiggling my toes and I am moving all over the place without kicking up silt. I can move right an left by using my fins like mini-rudders!

I sincerely hope you can get a fin that will work for you!! I have no vested interest in "promoting" one fin over another. I am not a salesrep or a dive shop owner; I am only "just" a diver. However, I know what worked for me and how relieved I was when I got my FFins to work. It took me a few dives, but I had decided to give them an honest and thorough trial, and BOY! am I glad I did!

I can tell you for sure, if the Original Force Fin is too stiff for your bad knee then the AL Slingshots might as well be planks. Those stupid bands that they use are just a cheap method of creating the same effect that the Force Fins do but they do it very poorly so they make them fairly stiff to make them "feel" similar although they fall flat.

I don't know that for a fact, but that is sure what I thought when I saw them and when I read the ad! :shakehead:

Another thing that I love about the fins is the ability to get propulsion with a comfortably bent knee simply by moving my ankles up and down with quick little strokes. When I am in a wreck, it is like wiggling my toes and I am moving all over the place without kicking up silt. I can move right an left by using my fins like mini-rudders!

SiberMike:

I'm assuming the "moving only the ankles" technique is only for making small adjustments in location? If so, what kick do you use to get from "here to there" - is it a straight-leg-propulsion from the hip flutter or a bent-knee quad-propulsion flutter? I personally can't push the FF with a bent knee and haven't been able to get down the mechanics of a straight-leg flutter with the FF (however, I do a straight-leg flutter with split fins)

[Note - I mentioned in another thread:

"I think the problem is that I don't have much power in the down/power part of the kick (or if I'm on my back, the "up" kick). The up/recovery part is easier (since I'm primarily engaging the hamstrings rather than quads) which is why I think I'm being more successful with the frog kick.

Don't know if your familiar with the leg-extension exercise machine where you sit with a bent knee with a padded roller over the instep and then lift/straighten leg -- but for my bad knee, not only can I not lift my leg with any weights on the machine, but I need to assist my leg to overcome gravity and the weight of the roller by using the cheater handle which manually helps to lift the roller.

Simply sitting in a chair I can lift my left leg until it's parallel with the ground (fully extended). My bad knee/leg only comes up 75% of the way. And that's after Physical Therapy and regular exercise!"
]

Got the 80AL, changed my weights around, readjusted my BC and donned the FF Originals. Finally, level trim regained.

The frog kick which worked pretty well in snorkel mode just couldn't stand up to the drag of the BC and the added mass of tank/weights, etc. The resultant frog kick provided micro-propulsion (i.e. - snorkeling the length of the pool took 8-10 frog kicks, scubaing took 20).

And .....not much luck with a flutter kick.

Plus today was "Bees and Yellow Jackets Dive Bomb the Diver" Day at the backyard pool. Every time I surfaced the danged insects either buzzed me or made a head'n'shoulders landing - which was a tad disconcerting since I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings. Over a dozen suicide kamikaze bugs floating in the pool when I got out. Hope this is just a short run of bad luck and not an omen.

SiberMike:

I'm assuming the "moving only the ankles" technique is only for making small adjustments in location?
Inside a wreck, I can get around really well. however to cover greater distances, I use more of a "bent-knee" kick. In fact, if I start to tire out, I use a kick that is almost like riding a bicycle. After reading all your posts, it sounds like you have some really major problems and at the top of the list is not being able to bend the knees. What I don't understand is how you are able to kermit kick without bending the knees.

Your "therapy" machine sounds like it was invented during the Inquisition! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom