Is There a Paddle/Blade Fin for Diver with Bad Knee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I don't understand is how you are able to kermit kick without bending the knees.
:D

Going from straight leg to bent knee is no problem, it's straightening the leg once it's bent that presents a problem if there's a load on the foot (i.e. the resistance of a paddle fin). When I'm frog kicking I think that I feather the fins as some point during the stroke so it's the edge of the fin rather than the flat that's moving thru the water. I really don't know what muscle groups are engaged, but the power-stroke of a frog kick (where the bottoms of both fins come together) somehow is not an insurmountable problem. I suspect that the appearance of my frog kick is not "textbook".

I finally gave up trying to get my legs/knee to work with the Force Fins Original. I just couldn't get enough strength going to push the fins.

But I am doing great building up leg strength by swimming laps (30-45 minutes) daily with some teeny tiny swim fins.

On the plus side, I want to personally thank Bob Evans and the rest of the folks at Force Fins. They were more than helpful in trying to accomodate my physical limitations including suggesting other fin designs that might work for me.

Back
Top Bottom