Is there a difference in hoods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asymmetries

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just curious, is there was any difference between hoods that are designed for use with dry suits and the average ordinary everyday neoprene hoods?

Can you use for example the DUI Warm Neck Self-Venting Hood with a wetsuit?

Can you use a standard bibbed neoprene hood with a drysuit?

Or is it that you can only use unbibbed hoods with drysuits?

I currently am diving a wetsuit now, but I am thinking in the future I will want to go dry.

Thanks for any help in advance,

I believe the diffrence is mostly the amount of overlap. Dry suit hoods I believe have little to none with the idea it rests over the neck seals. Wet suit hoods go over the top of the wet suit or get tucked in depending on whats more comfortable. I like a dry hood since it feels less constrictive with neck movement. When I need to use a wet suit hood I leave it over the suit. May not work as well, but I feel better during the dive.

I was just curious, is there was any difference between hoods that are designed for use with dry suits and the average ordinary everyday neoprene hoods?

Can you use for example the DUI Warm Neck Self-Venting Hood with a wetsuit?

Can you use a standard bibbed neoprene hood with a drysuit?

Or is it that you can only use unbibbed hoods with drysuits?

The DUI Warm Neck Self-Venting Hood has a bib/skirt that is short enough to fit under the Warm Neck Collar of their drysuits. It would probably tuck in adequately on a wetsuit, too.

Most wetsuit hoods will have bibs that are too long to tuck neatly into the DUI Warm Neck collar.

I like the DUI Warm Neck 7mm Hood because it has thinner neoprene in the front areas of the neck, chin and face. That provides a more comfortable and closer fit. Plus, they used unlined smooth 2mm neoprene around the face area for an excellent seal.

I don't know of any other drysuits that have a collar into which to tuck a hood. I've only seen non-bibbed hoods on other suits. DUI also offers a non-bibbed hood for those who prefer it.

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom