Is there a >3,000 psi compressed air piping system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been successful flaring .035 wall with a hand flaring tool. I use a $6500 machine that flares #4 to #32 .035 wall. Does someone make a hand flares that will do that?
I have hand flared a bunch of it. Used a standard flaring tool. Wrong angle but Jim Sheldon told me it would work and it does.

Would it be easier to just plumb in 3 or 4 long whips rather than mess around with QD fittings?

I have hand flared a bunch of it. Used a standard flaring tool. Wrong angle but Jim Sheldon told me it would work and it does.
I had no idea. I tried flaring 1/2” .035 wall steel and my flarer wouldn’t touch it.

I had no idea. I tried flaring 1/2” .035 wall steel and my flarer wouldn’t touch it.
I have only done 1/4" for high pressure air.

I have only done 1/4" for high pressure air.
I was installing shipboard hydraulics.

I have never been successful flaring .035 wall with a hand flaring tool. I use a $6500 machine that flares #4 to #32 .035 wall. Does someone make a hand flares that will do that?
Maybe I am lucky, but I have done an awful lot of flaring on heavy stainless with a handheld and never had an issue.

The tool is specifically made for flaring stainless tube.

Parkers tend to be cheaper and just as effective.

I use Parker ST QR fittings. The brass female quick release side is fine IME: there are stainless bearings that mate with the male part. The brass male portion less so: it tends to get dents in it and develop slow, small leaks. The Parker stainless ST fittings are wonderful, but a bit pricey.

I probably shouldn’t say any of that, because now I’ll have competition on eBay trying to buy stainless Parker ST! :)

ETA: these are flow-through fittings, so when you disconnect, it will not stop the gas. And like @Wookie said, never disconnect under pressure.

ETA: @Wookie I’ve bought those same eBay coils from the same seller: 5/5 would buy again.

Maybe I am lucky, but I have done an awful lot of flaring on heavy stainless with a handheld and never had an issue.

The tool is specifically made for flaring stainless tube.

I actually PMed @Tracy to find out what he uses. I have used a Ridgid 377 hand flare for stainless 0.035, but my tool broke after 30 or so flares. And while I can get flares that will seal, it was a real picky process, and the number of times I split the fitting was noticeably greater than zero. Reaming and filing matter.

Fortunately, I only have to do a few at a time usually, but it’s a process that more often than not makes me put it off as much as I can. I’m hoping somebody else out there has a better suggestion.

I have enough tubing to be able to put a fill whip at the front of my garage so that I can fill my tanks in the car, Amigos style, but not being able to flare anything has stopped me from doing it. Please save me from moving my tanks all the time!

I found a transmission place that would flare it for me, but their dies are covered in who knows what, so even though they don’t use any lubrication on my tubing, it’s still pretty nasty and requires a good bit of cleaning.

I actually PMed @Tracy to find out what he uses. I have used a Ridgid 377 hand flare for stainless 0.035, but my tool broke after 30 or so flares. And while I can get flares that will seal, it was a real picky process, and the number of times I split the fitting was noticeably greater than zero.

Fortunately, I only have to do a few at a time usually, but it’s a process that more often than not makes me put it off as much as I can. I’m hoping somebody else out there has a better suggestion.

I have enough tubing to be able to put a fill whip at the front of my garage so that I can fill my tanks in the car, Amigos style, but not being able to flare anything has stopped me from doing it. Please save me from moving my tanks all the time!

I found a transmission place that would flare it for me, but their dies are covered in who knows what, so even though they don’t use any lubrication on my tubing, it’s still pretty nasty and requires a good bit of cleaning.
I use swegelok. I stopped swearing so much. Not for anything over -8, that all goes in the very expensive machine. I have a 377 as well, but with the heavy wall, it just wants to push the tubing out of the die.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom