Is the time now - for one light to rule them all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi, sorry if I missed it but have been away from this forum for over a year.

I do mostly macro but occasionally wide angle.

Is there one light, reasonably priced ie around the price of a flash, that can do macro, wide and video?

The Kraken Hydra 5000+ is likely the closest. I have one as my focus, night and UV light but can also strobe. I don’t plan to have it as my only but it does serve many functions.

So it doesn't sound as if the day of the strobe is over? At $US950 it is a fair slab of money for a light.

I think this may be the end of this thread?

There'b the i-Torch Symbiosis, which combines a strobe and an LED light in a single unit. Plain fact of the matter is, while LEDs have come a long way in recent years, they're still nowhere near as powerful as gas discharge tubes used in strobes, so while you can take better photos with LEDs than you can shoot videos with strobes, and LEDs have some operational advantages (easier to focus, you can see where shadows fall, can shoot bursts), they're still not a substitute for a strobe if you want to overpower the daylight sun and get good colors, plus constant bright lights tend to scare away the fish and blind fellow divers.

they're still not a substitute for a strobe if you want to overpower the daylight sun and get good colors, plus constant bright lights tend to scare away the fish and blind fellow divers.
Hi B - thanks a lot I will stick with my 2 SnS's.

I have a Kraken but, have two Inon Z330s for actual stills. I was just showing that there is one light that can do most things. I am more excited about the Red and UV modes of the Kraken and will only use it as a night dive light and UV light.

thanks darook, glad I was only contemplating selling my flashes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom