Is the Mares Bolt SLS a good BCD? Does Mares make good BCDs in general?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I

If you are just diving down south every now and then bcd are fine.
IMO If they at least had a crotch strap. That would solve alot of problems.

If you need lots of weight, a bp/w
It helps solve part of that problem..
But I would say, if you see a diver with double tanks and think...
I would like to do that someday,
then seriously consider a BP/W.

Seems you are fairly new to diving, whatever gets you diving and gaining experience is what you should do,

I personally bought a brand new tusa bcd. I was able to not loose to much money when I sold it... but still wish I hadn't gone the route...
most of my diving so far is in South Florida, but I liked the idea of the back inflate Mares Bolt or similar BC for its convince and for also getting into "light" cold water diving up north here with its high lift. don't have much interest in doubles. All great points to consider, I use a Cressi travel light now but im not a fan, needs a upgrade. Thanks for the help!

most of my diving so far is in South Florida, but I liked the idea of the back inflate Mares Bolt or similar BC for its convince and for also getting into "light" cold water diving up north here with its high lift. don't have much interest in doubles. All great points to consider, I use a Cressi travel light now but im not a fan, needs a upgrade. Thanks for the help!

The SP SeaHawk 2 will do just fine for you, for warm travel and for light cold water diving. I used mine for diving in the Red Sea and here in Libya while wearing 7mm to 1mm suits and everything in between. Used AL80 to St18L and all is good and stable no issues at all.

It doesn't fail, never !
Any time any one asks or comments about a Jacket BCD, there is always someone saying "Forget that crap and get a BP/W"
It's like a BOT analysing what the members write.

It doesn't fail, never !
Any time any one asks or comments about a Jacket BCD, there is always someone saying "Forget that crap and get a BP/W"
It's like a BOT analysing what the members write.
Did not say that.

I have their mares axis regulators from my first scuba set, after they changed the second stage plastic seat, its been a bullet proof regulator, in fact it's my backup reg, and my 40cu ft pony set. Its been ice diving and all

I've had poor expereince with mares BC and also seen their regulators - 2nd stages rot and fall apart. I would avoid.

And I am stuck with several of their BC's and second stages I want to get rid of but can't so far. Do you want to buy them by the pound (or kilo) at all?

I had a Mares BC for over ten years. Never had any issues. It was rugged and dependable. I only sold it when I switched to a BP/W setup.

From my experience the Mares brand is more popular in Europe than in the US, which might lead to you getting more negative feedback here on Mares. There are several dive shops here though that stock Mares equipment and have no issues. I just think it is not as common as the other brands.

Back
Top Bottom